Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > ruined my beer by kegging? or....what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
rangerdanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ruined my beer by kegging? or....what?

new to the forum, hello all!! little but of back story, My SWMBO's father is an avid home brewer, and i have had plenty of tasty brews from him. I got into the hobby after helping out at a few brewdays and decided it was time for my first batch solo. I followed all the precautions sanitizing, following instructions, all that jazz...

im a newbie by all means but have done plenty of research, but the problem i have is leaving me baffled.

So i purchased a SMaSH ale all grain kit from northernbrewer.com, and had at it. Assuming a easy peasy single malt/single hop ale would be an easy recipe for a first batch.

the end result is a bitter tasting beer with a flavor that sticks around and just isnt pleasant. Like, it almost taste like like its spoiled, but its only been in a keg for 5 days!

now, my thoughts behind this off flavor are as follows:

I decided to leave in primary fermentation for the whole two weeks, VS one week primary/one week secondary. Now after researching, i dont think this is the source of my problem, but its a possibility? right?

OR! the kegs i have are corny pin lock kegs i got from a good friend who works as a manufacturing manager at Cornelius! I received them still full of soda syrup, so after bleach bombing, soaking in oxy clean, rinsing, rinsing, soaking in PBW, rinsing, rinsing, and starsan and rising...and rinsing...OH and rinsing my beer lines with star san, and being all new hardware, is this a possible cause?

OR! I live in a small town, and my water is off an aquifer, it is relatively hard water, and im going to assume an off pH. after some research i discovered pH being too high(i believe) can cause an off flavor. I have since purchased ph5.2 and will be trying in in my next batch. could this do it?

Im stumped. i mean its tolerable to drink but i dont want to share it cause its almost embarrassing!

any ideas? ANY?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
Aonghus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 40

How long has it been in the keg? The beer continues to improve in the keg for a while. To me, it seems like, 3 weeks and the beer goes from good to great.
Also did you change all the seals on the keg? I mean all of them? Also did you use campden tablets to remove the chlorine from your water?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
rangerdanger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonghus View Post
How long has it been in the keg? The beer continues to improve in the keg for a while. To me, it seems like, 3 weeks and the beer goes from good to great.
Also did you change all the seals on the keg? I mean all of them? Also did you use campden tablets to remove the chlorine from your water?
All seals on the kegs have been replaced and sanitized before use. all hardware and lines are new, and were sanitized before use.

I did not use campden tablets. Didnt know of their existence until lately.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
thisisbeer
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

That's what I would say it would be chlorine/chloramine from your water. But most likely it's just the fact that it's been in the keg 5 days give it at least two weeks for it to come into its own. You won't get off flavors for leaving it in primary two weeks. A lot of people Leave it for 4 weeks And Most Dont Use A Secondary.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 782 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Sounds like 4 week old beer? It CAN be OK at 4 weeks. It will likely be much better at four months. If you didn't contaminate the batch with cleaning products, kegging is not the issue.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
rangerdanger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Sounds like 4 week old beer? It CAN be OK at 4 weeks. It will likely be much better at four months. If you didn't contaminate the batch with cleaning products, kegging is not the issue.
i thought the motto was dont fear the foam?

so its likely that my beer is just green?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
i thought the motto was dont fear the foam?

so its likely that my beer is just green?
If it is four weeks old, that's my position. It will change in two more weeks...been there. If you are using the cleaning products recommended here and rinsing well, that should not be an issue.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
OneEyeBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default ruined my beer by kegging? or....what?

Also good to remember that starsan is a no-rinse sanitiser. If you rinse it away then you're defeating the purpose of having used it in the first place. I highly doubt that's what your problem is, but just putting it out there none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyeBrewing View Post
Also good to remember that starsan is a no-rinse sanitiser. If you rinse it away then you've defeating the purpose of having used it in the first place. I highly doubt that's what your problem is, but just putting it out there none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Good point. Don't fear the foam is correct. I have the T-shirt

Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
rangerdanger
Recipes 

im more so confused, SWMBO's father went from brewing to kegs in 3 weeks, carb'd and it was delicious! whats the difference?

Quick Reply