Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Rubber smell in Corny kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
bendavanza
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Rubber smell in Corny kegs

I bought a crapload of kegs at the scrapyard, these were water tanks for a lab, they have liquid level sensors. the kegs that had anything left in them were just water. I was going to use 2 of them yesterday but they have a distinct rubber smell to them, like a tire. I rinsed them in starsan and replaced the lid O ring but the smell remains, in fact the smell seems to com from the lid pretty strong. I did a search about rubber smell in kegs and just found posts about soda smells. Other than a soak in oxyclean is there something else I should consider trying? These kegs are super clean.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
RichBenn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
I bought a crapload of kegs at the scrapyard, these were water tanks for a lab, they have liquid level sensors. the kegs that had anything left in them were just water. I was going to use 2 of them yesterday but they have a distinct rubber smell to them, like a tire. I rinsed them in starsan and replaced the lid O ring but the smell remains, in fact the smell seems to com from the lid pretty strong. I did a search about rubber smell in kegs and just found posts about soda smells. Other than a soak in oxyclean is there something else I should consider trying? These kegs are super clean.
Starsan sterilizes, but doesn't clean or get rid of smell. Try the oxiclean in very hot water overnight, then do it again. The fact that you don't know what was in these means be extra carefull in doing a good cleaning job.

Oh, and of course, replace all gaskets.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply