Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > round bottom co2 tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
LIONS_FAN2539
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default round bottom co2 tank

welding shop i do biz with set me up with a tank(filled 5#) and a regulator(very used) for next to nothing. the tank is cigar shaped with no flat bottom. is this normal?. every thing is wore pretty good but this guy is very legit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
cyberjoey80

Recipes 

I don't think this is "normal" for the use of home brewing. It is probably a tank that was designed to sit in some kind of basket in, say, a welding truck or some kind of portable welder. If it holds gas though, who cares. It might just be a pain in the a$@ to put in the fridge as is will have to lay sideways...unless you build a stand for it. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Did a quick search and found This.

EDIT: The only references I could find to round bottom compressed gas cylinders was in the SCUBA and Hazmat breathing devices. Maybe you were given an old SCUBA tank and not a dedicated CO2 tank.

Last edited by johnsma22; 02-18-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:31 AM   #4
LIONS_FAN2539
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the info. made a holder out of some lightweight tubing and a some small brake rotor. i going forward and complete the set up(cornys,poney tap)
it just seemed so different that i thought i would run by you guys, to get some feedback.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:06 AM   #5
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

definitely don't use the tank sideways as you will siphon liquid co2 into the regulator, essentially freezing it.

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
LIONS_FAN2539
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

what can you tell about the numbers on it. e85427. there are others but this one is circled with a black marker. the tank has what looks like the original sticker, co2
carbon dioxide.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

look for and post the other numbers. one should be a DOTxxxxx or something like that, and the other should have a month and date, separated by symbols, this is the test date. it sounds like your cylinder is old, so it should have multiple test dates, look for the most recent one. it should be in test since it was sold to you by a welding supply shop.

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Quick Reply