The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Rotary Valve Faucet vs Perlick 525SS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Rotary Valve Faucet vs Perlick 525SS

Has anyone used a Rotary Valve Faucet? My local beer bar, Beachwood BBQ, swears by them, and they will only use these type of taps in their setup.

I'm considering purchasing one of these for my keezer which is currently planned to be all Perlick 525SS at the moment. If a rotary valve faucet does not add any value to the flexibility of my beer serving system, then I'll probably go all Perlick to keep things uniform (and cheap-er). I've searched HBT and found nothing about rotary valve faucets. Does anyone have experience with or knowledge about these type of taps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 799 Posts

No experience - heck, I've never even seen one of those - but there's some good information on the Roto Tap faucet available here.

Aside from the unique styling, one thing I find interesting is it uses a disposable PTFE cartridge valve...

Cheers!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
GTO_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought those were for wine?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Guy View Post
I thought those were for wine?
and soda. those are the type you see in 1950's malt shops.

i would just go perlick SS, unless you are dead set on that rotary style, because even nice perlick taps are cheaper than that.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
and soda. those are the type you see in 1950's malt shops.

i would just go perlick SS, unless you are dead set on that rotary style, because even nice perlick taps are cheaper than that.
These taps are not uncommon worldwide, just not so much in America. They are designed for beer, not wine or soda, but could of course accommodate the other two.

I'm not so much worried about the price as much as the performance. I may or may not purchase one, but I'd like to learn more about them, including any experience anyone here has had with them.

The beer bar I know that uses these pours extremely expensive and hard to get kegs (rare Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Beatification, aged imperial stouts, etc.) on a regular basis, and therefore they like to have extreme control over their pours, so as not to waste an ounce of that costly nectar. It's sort of what spurred me on in researching these taps.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
alexroussos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

ocluke, did you end up getting these? I'm considering them myself but it's hard to find any reviews on them. I want to make sure they're not gonna be an expensive let down.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexroussos View Post
ocluke, did you end up getting these? I'm considering them myself but it's hard to find any reviews on them. I want to make sure they're not gonna be an expensive let down.
I did not, but I wish that I had at least purchased one in my keezer build. If you do purchase these, report back to us and let us know about them. I suspect that you won't be let down.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

At $70 a pop better not be let down....I'd get one if the head is guaranteed and @ $34 for new cartridge I think I'll stick with my Perlicks.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I bought one of these and I just had to post up that I LOVE IT. I've worked beer fests with tap boxes and had foaming issues for various reasons. I took home a sixtel from work tonight and set my CO2 PSI at 14 just to see what happened with the faucet. It poured foamy at first but when I adjusted the collar it poured perfectly. I don't know what that luxury is worth to other people, but to me it's worth the cost of the Roto-tap V. Sure it's 2x the price of the most expensive perlick faucets but damn it's nice. I will be adjusting my regulator back down to a more reasonable PSI of course.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
I bought one of these and I just had to post up that I LOVE IT. I've worked beer fests with tap boxes and had foaming issues for various reasons. I took home a sixtel from work tonight and set my CO2 PSI at 14 just to see what happened with the faucet. It poured foamy at first but when I adjusted the collar it poured perfectly. I don't know what that luxury is worth to other people, but to me it's worth the cost of the Roto-tap V. Sure it's 2x the price of the most expensive perlick faucets but damn it's nice. I will be adjusting my regulator back down to a more reasonable PSI of course.
Thanks for reporting here on your experience. It doesn't shock me though. The beer bars that I know of that buy the most expensive kegs seem to all have these. When each pour translates into a lot of money, buying tap with the most control and least waste would be imperative.

How is cleaning and maintenance? Any further thoughts compared to a Perlick 525?

Quick Reply