Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Root Beer Smell Won't Leave!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
strumke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Root Beer Smell Won't Leave!

I bought a bunch of old kegs on the cheap, and there was a 3 gallon corny that was converted to a sanke. The place used this for root beer before, and I cannot get rid of the smell.

I pulled and dismantled the spear, replaced everything rubber, and soaked the keg in oxyclean 4x, but the keg still has that minty root beer smell (the spear is free of smells). Any suggestions on what else I can try to get that smell out?

I'm not a fan of rootbeer, but are there any beers that would complement or mask the rootbeer enough for me to keg something in it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Thirstin4aburstin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've read somewhere that baking soda will help get rid of the smell. Not sure on how much to add but it said to let it sit in the keg for 24 hours

My bar featured in AHA's "Pimp My System": http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...egerator-bar-8

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Frank Sinatra

Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts

if you have replaced everything soft (rubber) already, then you need a dip tube brush to scrub the inside of the dip tube if you ever want to have a chance at getting rid of that smell. you also need to dismantle the ball/pin locks and poppets and scrub them seperately, if you havnt already.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

In PET bottles, I tried getting the root beer smell out with oxy, soap, boiling water and iodophor with no luck. Finally tried a little bleach and that got rid of it. Just gotta make sure you get the bleach rinsed out after and with steel I wouldn't let it sit there to long either.

Primary: MT
Secondary: MT
Bottled and disappearing: Pale Ale/BM clone/Dbl Choc stout
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
strumke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
if you have replaced everything soft (rubber) already, then you need a dip tube brush to scrub the inside of the dip tube if you ever want to have a chance at getting rid of that smell. you also need to dismantle the ball/pin locks and poppets and scrub them seperately, if you havnt already.
Its a corny that was converted to a sanke, so there are no dip tubes anymore... it's the inside of the body that smells, the spear has no smell and has been out of the keg for ~2 months now.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
strumke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokaniac View Post
In PET bottles, I tried getting the root beer smell out with oxy, soap, boiling water and iodophor with no luck. Finally tried a little bleach and that got rid of it. Just gotta make sure you get the bleach rinsed out after and with steel I wouldn't let it sit there to long either.
What concentration would be good for 3 gallons? Any idea how long to leave it before I risk pitting?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I just used about a capful of bleach in a 2 liter bottle then filled it about 3/4 with hot water and shook it up real good. About 10 minutes or so should be good, dump the bleach water into a bucket and rinse the keg out. If it still smells, dump the bleach water back in go a little longer.

Primary: MT
Secondary: MT
Bottled and disappearing: Pale Ale/BM clone/Dbl Choc stout
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumke View Post
What concentration would be good for 3 gallons? Any idea how long to leave it before I risk pitting?
chlorine starts to pit steel immediately. the longer you leave it there, the higher the concentration and the higher the temperature, the faster it occurs. however there is no amount of time before it starts to corrode; it happens as soon as it makes contact.

Quick Reply