Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Rogue Paint label Removal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #11
BrianTheBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why go through all the trouble of using the Rouge or Stone bottles? Why not just get some other great beer and use those bottles?

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
New-B-Brewer
Recipes 

Does anybody know if the CLR or muratic acid tricks work on the ceramic Rogue bottles?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Banjoman76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by New-B-Brewer View Post
Does anybody know if the CLR or muratic acid tricks work on the ceramic Rogue bottles?
I do know that CLR works on the cobalt blue Nittany Ale bottles from Midwest Supplies. Immerse for 12 hours in a small coffee can and a scrubby pad will remove the white paint.
I have also diluted the CLR with water. Slow but effective.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #14
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

wow lacquer thinner didn't work?

Did you try turpentine?

Have you heard of Goof Off? It's crazy strong stuff, just make sure you're outside when using it. I'm pretty sure Home Depot & Lowes carry it (around here they do anyway).

And keep it away from plastics and anything painted that you don't want to remove the paint from.

BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 AM   #15
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post
wow lacquer thinner didn't work?

Did you try turpentine?

Have you heard of Goof Off? It's crazy strong stuff, just make sure you're outside when using it. I'm pretty sure Home Depot & Lowes carry it (around here they do anyway).

And keep it away from plastics and anything painted that you don't want to remove the paint from.
To each his own, but I wouldn't use any kind of organic or petroleum-related solvent on bottles that were going to hold potables. Muriatic rinses away completely with plain water and doesn't leave a residue. The thought of turpentine or laquer thinner near my beer is a little discomforting.

Don't know anything about Goof Off, but I have used GooGone, which is a citrus-oil cleaner, to remove label glue. You still have to clean the bottles very thoroughly afterwards, or the citrus oil residue will kill any head on your beer, not to mention give it an interesting orange flavor. But at least it's not turpentine

I'd lean toward some kind of mechanical removal, such as a buffing wheel. You can also get Scotchbrite wheels which you can chuck in a drill or possibly mount on a grinder.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #16
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcobbs View Post
The thought of turpentine or laquer thinner near my beer is a little discomforting.
but they're both so delicious!! ::

seriously though, I'm pretty sure labels are only on the outside of the bottles. Is someone planning on racking their beer to the outside of the bottles?
Wash em with Oxi-clean (or any good soap/detergent) in hot water after using any nasty solvents on the outside of the bottle and you should be juusst fine [Assuming we're only talking about glass bottles. I def wouldn't use any strong solvents on plastic]
BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Last edited by pinkfloyd4ever; 01-07-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
nbspindel
Recipes 

muriatic acid: no
goof off: no

i tried the 1:3 ratio for the acid, no luck, even tried almost pure acid, still no luck. Rogue must finish theirs differently than normal silk screen labels.

i used a wire buffer wheel on a dremel, which worked, but basically ate all the wires off the wheel to take off one label. Decided to leave 'em be, give 'em away when i want to share bottled beer, and don't ask for them back. If you do your own labels, just affix yours on top of theirs. Maybe that will work. I'm interested in the CLR though.

*Bayou Brewhouse, established 2009*

Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #18
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have removed the silk screened labels on rogue bottles with regular dilution star-san. I just left them in it for 2 weeks. (Which is as far as I know just dilute phosphoric acid a surfactant and maybe other stuff)

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-08-2010, 02:20 AM   #19
herbler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I have removed the silk screened labels on rogue bottles with regular dilution star-san. I just left them in it for 2 weeks. (Which is as far as I know just dilute phosphoric acid a surfactant and maybe other stuff)
Wow, great suggestion!

I love the Stone/Rogue varieties, but have been consuming a LOT of Bear Republic Hop Hod, Racer 5 and Big Bear Black Stout to build the 22oz bottle farm.

Now I know what to do with the 8 Sublimely Self-righteous bottles in the garage... Thanks!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #20
Brewin_CRAZY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I find it interesting that no one can get starsan to work. I leave my bottles in starsan at room temp for a day sometimes for 48 hours and the labels come right off. Yes, Rogue bottles, Stone bottles, all of the above that are silk screened. I used to live 40 mins from rogue so you can imagine how many bottle I have.

Bottled: DFH 120 Clone (Kicks your A$$)

"Brew happy, brew often, and always brew with friends." -Me
"I dont home brew because I'm poor, I'm poor because I home brew!!!" -Me

"If I ever leave this world alive ill be drinkin up in the sky, with you my friend by my side" RIP B.G.
And always remember friends "Do NOT set yourself on fire"

Quick Reply