Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Rinsing bottles with tap water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
puravida286
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rinsing bottles with tap water

I am about to bottle my first batch of homebrew. After I sanitize the bottles in a bucket of bleach-water, is it really that harmful to rinse them with tap water? Or should the rinsing water be boiled first as howtobrew.com suggests. I don't think Papazian's book addresses this issue and I want to do this right since I only have one shot at it and I've put so much effort into the process so far. Does tap water house bacteria that could spoil my brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida286
I am about to bottle my first batch of homebrew. After I sanitize the bottles in a bucket of bleach-water, is it really that harmful to rinse them with tap water? Or should the rinsing water be boiled first as howtobrew.com suggests. I don't think Papazian's book addresses this issue and I want to do this right since I only have one shot at it and I've put so much effort into the process so far. Does tap water house bacteria that could spoil my brew?
It could, but if you're sanitizing with bleach, you really don't have a choice.

I used that exact procedure (bleach, rinse w/ tap water) for my first few batches and had no problems. I would, however, recommend iodophor (or star san). The no-rinse is convenient, but the short contact time (1-2 minutes, vs 20+ for bleach) is what really makes it worth the slightly higher expense.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 09-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Do you have a dishwasher? After giving my bottles a good bleach rinse and rinsing them out, I run them through the dishwasher, no soap, on the highest-temp setting. Works great as a bottling rack, and the heat will cause any bleach remaining in the bottles to be broken down. You can't use a dishwasher to CLEAN the bottles (the water can't reach all the way inside), but I like it a lot for this application...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I like the dishwasher as well for cleaning bottles. I know there is minimal cleaning action on the inside of the bottles, so I give them a good scrub before putting them in the dishwasher. It's great for getting the last bits of labels off, and mine has a heat sanitizing cycle that I can use on bottling day (though it takes forever, so sometimes it's easier to just use a no rinse product like Star San).

Old 09-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're using bleach in a proper solution rinsing isn't strictly necesary. Bleach in low concentrations is a competent no-rinse surface santizer. However at those low concentraiton the contact time is 2 minutes or more. 2 minutes is a LONG time when you're sanitizing 5 gallons of bottles.

I second, however, the use of a fast contact no-rinse sanitizer like Star-San. I've used bleach in the past (because my Dad did it that way) but I find Star San far easier to use.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I rinsed the bleach from my bottles with tap water for years. Never had a problem.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida286
Does tap water house bacteria that could spoil my brew?

I sure hope not, not only do I drink tap water all the time, but I sometimes top off my primary with it straight from the tap.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I remember reading somewhere in Papazian's book that for all intents and purposes he considers HOT tap water sanitary. I always rinse with hot tap water (as hot as it will get) and also have never had a problem.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
wstein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have done the same, I soak the bottles in a weak bleach/water solution then rinse with hot water and store upside down in the dishwasher. No problems to date.

Paul

The chicken was involved, but the pig is committed.

Primary
nada
nada
Secondary
nada
nada
Bottled
SPNA Clone, Anchor Our Special Ale (1995), London Cream Ale, American Virgin Raspberry Wheat, Munich Monkey Ale, Bones Brown Ale
Up Next
a Hobgoblin Ale clone or a chocolate stout

Old 09-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

You can bet that any tap water delivered in the USA is sanitary and germ-free. It is a good idea to clean & sanitize any hose or faucet prior to starting.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply