Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ring around bottle neck...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
gyoder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ring around bottle neck...

My pliny the elder clone has been sitting in the bottles now for a little over two weeks and I decided to give it a try today. After pouring the beer into my glass I noticed a tiny white ring around the bottle neck and grimaced. I've tasted the beer though and there are no off flavors that I can tell. It actually tastes quite excellent. However, I was hoping to age this as it was pretty high gravity (1.076). Is there any chance that the large amount of yeast and hops from the dry hop that made their way into my bottling bucket (I wanted every last bit) could have caused the ring? Is two weeks enough for a bacterial infection to get started in a beer that's over 7% alcohol?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
gyoder
Recipes 

I just looked at the case below the first one and they do not have the ring. The case on top probably had the majority of the extra sediment. Also, I had turned the bottles in the top case upside down and then rightside up again about a week ago could that have had anything to do with it?

Old 02-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much - it is proably just sediment. There is nothing you can do now anyway.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have had infection in a 10% brew before. But a white ring doesn't sound like it. The ring bacteria leave is dark, at least in my experience. Looks like dark grime, nothing light colored about it.

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
gyoder
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses guys. Maybe it was sanitizer that was still on the cap that made it's way to the top when I flipped them over. I suppose as long as they taste good there isn't a problem.

Quick Reply