The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The right PSI for set it and forget it??? (belgian wit)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius View Post
Hmmm. I set it at 13 PSI and waited for a total of 3 weeks on the CO2 tank and it was overcarbed.

Either the gauge is reading wrong, or 13 PSI is just too high for this beer. Next time I'm trying 8 PSI and will see what happens.
Was it overcarb'd, or do you have a pouring problem? How long (and what internal diameter) is your beer line in the kegerator?

IMHO there should be no way, at that pressure and temp, for you to be overcarb'd.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
In my experience, unless you have really long lines, 13 is about twice what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
IMHO there should be no way, at that pressure and temp, for you to be overcarb'd.

I have 10 foot long, 3/16" inner diameter lines.

I don't see how overcarbing could happen either, unless the gauge is reading lower than the actual PSI.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
n240sxguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius

I have 10 foot long, 3/16" inner diameter lines.

I don't see how overcarbing could happen either, unless the gauge is reading lower than the actual PSI.
You may be pretty close then. I have 5 or 6 foot 3/16 lines, and 7-8 is all I need. Much more and it's all foam. May be a faulty gauge.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

What sort of kegerator setup are you running? Is it just the first pour that is foamy, or is it all subsequent pours? Is this a new kegerator build (i.e. your first keg, so you don't perhaps know if your regulator gauge is reliable)?

I used to have horrible problems with my first pour being foamy in my old tower setup (5' lines), and then was very concerned when I built my keezer with 10' lines and got the same... The fix was to rig up a couple PC fans in the keezer to circulate air, ensuring my lines were the same temperature as the rest of the keezer. It causes a major problem when the lines are allowed to warm up (and temp stratification inside a fridge with no circulation is significant), as the CO2 in the beer comes out of solution and forms bubbles in the lines.

If you look at the beer line, do you see bubbles in the lines?

All that said, I regularly keep my fridge about 41 degrees and have been able to serve at 14-15 psi with no overcarbonation problems through 10' lines.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yes, fairly new keg setup so I don't know if the gauge is reliable.

What happens is the keg is carbonating, I don't touch it for 2 weeks (12 PSI) at around 38 F. Test it every couple of days, then drink it, and it is already overcarbed. Then as time goes on it gets worse (same PSI). Foam occurs sometimes, but not every time, it is an acidic/metallic aftertaste from every single glass.

I don't have a tower installed, just a 5 gallon Corny keg in a mini-fridge so warm beer lines are not an issue. There is bubbles in the line though.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If there are bubbles in the line, it might be a temp differential. After putting two beers in rapid succession, those bubbles should go away, and take minutes/hours to return. If it's temp, that's the expectation. This can be fixed by adding a circulation fan inside.

If the bubbles immediately return, it's possible you have an issue with the seal if the dip tube and liquid out post. If you're letting CO2 into the beer line from that location, the bubbles will always be there immediately after each pour. And it could explain the sharp flavor, which could be carbonic acid. This is, off course, an easy fix (remove CO2, vent keg, remove liquid post, replace o-rings and re-seal).

Of course, it could be the regulator. Inconsistent pressure could explain both overcarbonating and bubbles in the line.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #17
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Good info. Shouldn't be a temperature gradient as it keeps happening with 3 to 4 pints.

The liquid out post theory sounds very credible, though I did replace the o-rings months ago and checked by submerging in the bathtub (pressurized).

Still could be that gauge. Still off-gassing the keg and it tastes acidic after 4 days. I suppose if the beer gets undercarbed and that acidic taste is still there, then it has to be a leak at the liquid out post then.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius View Post
The liquid out post theory sounds very credible, though I did replace the o-rings months ago and checked by submerging in the bathtub (pressurized).
Did you replace the liquid side dip tube o-ring in addition to the post o-ring? That requires taking off the post and removing the long liquid dip tube.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I had only replaced the "liquid out" side o-rings. Just to be sure I replaced them again.

Then I noticed that the upper "gas in" side o-ring was old and the bottom o-ring on the "gas in" was not even there. Replaced both and put keg lube on all rings.

So could the "gas in" missing o-ring cause the overcarbing?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #20
sawbossFogg
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Google any force carb chart for temp and pressure.

Quick Reply