Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > reuse bottle caps??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Fitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default reuse bottle caps??

just a quick question.. working on my first batch(in primary), got a few bottle caps that came with my kit but was wondering if you can reuse them? i know theyre not that expensive but i was just curious lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Brewmando
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

NO!! Once they are crimped tight on a bottle there is little chance of them working properly again after being pried off.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Penny wise, pound foolish. Short cuts like this can ruin your beer and waste all your work, time, and money besides getting the reputation that you cannot brew.

New beer requires new caps on clean and sanitized bottles. Do it right the first time.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Finn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
just a quick question.. working on my first batch(in primary), got a few bottle caps that came with my kit but was wondering if you can reuse them? i know theyre not that expensive but i was just curious lol
They'll probably seal, but it's not worth it. I had to resort to used caps one time with a batch of hard cider on a Sunday afternoon ... I think I had about a 60-percent success rate with them. Definitely not how you want to save $1.75 a batch.

But ... used bottle caps are great for sealing your beer bottles after rising the yeast off the bottom! If you leave them open, you can have some trouble getting cooties out of them when you're ready to put beer in them. With used caps on them, you just pop the tops off, run 'em through the dishwasher (no soap, high heat) and put beer in 'em.

--Finn
On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 06-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've got a buddy that reuses twist offs, by simply twisting them back on.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2276 Times on 1622 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

Depending on how you take them off you could do it easily and have 100% success, but I would never do it unless I had to. They are just too cheap. I keep a few sets extra so I dont' run out.

If I think I won't drink a whole bottle, I carefully pry a bit all around the cap until it is loose enough to remove. This prevents the cap from being creased across the top and gives a nice even bend around the edge. I can then put the cap back on with the wing capper I keep in the kitchen and put back in fridge. It doens' lose enough carbonation to affect the drinkability of the 1/2 bottle later.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
FizzBizzle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
If I think I won't drink a whole bottle, I carefully pry a bit all around the cap until it is loose enough to remove. This prevents the cap from being creased across the top and gives a nice even bend around the edge. I can then put the cap back on with the wing capper I keep in the kitchen and put back in fridge. It doens' lose enough carbonation to affect the drinkability of the 1/2 bottle later.
Who drinks half a bottle? Even the double deucers are pretty easy to wipe out. Then again, maybe I'm just an alcholic.(...but it tastes so good.)

Old 06-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Absolutely not. You risk a poor seal and no carbonation on any batch that you reuse caps on.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
I've got a buddy that reuses twist offs, by simply twisting them back on.
IMHO...Your buddy is a fool.
For less than $2.00 you get brand new caps that won't kill your beer.
There is no reason that you should chince here. It is not worth it. How long does it take you to make $2.00 at work....How long does it take you to brew another batch of beer, bottle and age it, then the embarrassment of handing a friend a nasty ass flat infected bottle of swill...No thanks?

Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Depending on how you take them off you could do it easily and have 100% success, but I would never do it unless I had to. They are just too cheap. I keep a few sets extra so I dont' run out.

There is nothing possibly more important that could happen that would require you to have to recap mid-beer. Even if I leave the room for a bit you just have to come back and drink a little warmer beer.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Quick Reply