Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Restoring brass tower

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
tek210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Restoring brass tower

Was in my LHBS the other day getting prices for a dual tower setup. He was showing me around the shop and showed me some of the random stuff he has picked up over time. One of the pieces was a brass (I think) triple tower setup, it was in rough shape tarnish wise and at first I was thinking ehhh I still want new. But now I am thinking I would like to restore this unit, will give the setup some character and will save some money.

What is the best way to restore something like this. I have some woodworking tools, but I also have a Porter Cable random orbital polisher I use in detailing. I thought I might be able to do something with that to restore it back. Any thoughts on bringing out the beauty in this old piece?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Bar Keeper's Friend... At least that is what I have heard mentioned in the past for brass....

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Boondoggie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

get a gallon of cheap vinegar, and submerge it in that. Add water to dilute it enought to completely cover it. leave it overnight/weekend.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got a brass Tower, looked like $#!t when I got it in the mail.

Some elbow grease and brass cleaner/polisher and bingo! It's fantastic looking. I used "Brasso", it cleans, removes oxidation and when polished with a clean rag it creates a seal preventing future oxidation. Well that's what the bottle says.... I've had good results now for 2 months and can't complain.
I say get it and see how you can bring it back to life. Nothing like brass in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
tek210
Recipes 

yeah I think I am going to give it a shot on the cleanup. Now I have to decide if I stick with my original plan of converting an Oster 5.0, plugging up one of the tap holes. Or do I go the keezer route maybe building a topper to mount the tower.

Quick Reply