Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Replacing Corny Spartan and Super Champion poppets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
radial67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Replacing Corny Spartan and Super Champion poppets

I have a bunch of Cornelius Spartan and Super Champion kegs (stamped on the side of the keg) and they always seem to leak small bubbles when I take the gas side off so I decided to order a bunch of replacement poppets from B3 to replace them. I got in the habit of using a chopstick and a hammer and before cellaring, hitting the top of the poppet head using the chopstick to get the poppet to seat better.

The ones from B3 are yellow with short stubby legs and are the same size as the black ones (also with stubby legs) I took out of the keg, but the poppet head looks slightly different (and the original ones I took out of the keg are black).

Problem is now that the yellow ones seal WORSE than the originals that I was trying to replace. To replace them I just uncrewed the gas side and popped the poppet out and switched it 1:1.

Has anyone encountered this before and if so, what was your replacement procedure gg from the black poppet to the yellow poppet? Have I got the right poppet?

Thanks guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
JRems
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Run a brush through the post. Sometimes buildup on the stainless prevents a new poppet from sealing correctly. Also a tiny film of lube should cure that problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply