Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Removing Red Stripe Labels without StarSan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #31
gib0r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sweet. Now to see if this works with other screened bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #32
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbyandmel View Post
I used CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) cleaner and the label comes off. I just filled the bottles with water and set them in a glass with about 1.5 inches of CLR in the bottom. Badda bing badda boom, label is gone in about 15 minutes. I tried this for the first time today with red stripe bottles I bought yesterday. I couldn't find any definitive way to do it but this works like a charm. No scrubbing either, I just wiped it off with my finger.

glad somebody finally got success with this thread; I'm going to start drinking a **** ton more of red stripe now.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #33
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sandblast.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 08-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #34
Powers
Recipes 

after nearly an hour of soaking in CLR (not diluted), the label shows no signs of coming off. i'll let it go for the rest of the day and see what happens. i know funk said 15 min, so i'm confused about the lack of results over 50 minutes...

Old 12-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #35
Didje
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone come up with a miracle solution, aside from StarSan?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #36
fermenteverything
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We need a confirmation on the CLR effectiveness!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #37
brewdiver87
Recipes 

I bottle mostly in Rogue bottles which also have painted on labels. I cover the top of the bottle with a little plastic wrap and remove the label with my bench grinder and wire wheel attachment. Takes about 45 seconds/bottle. Doesn't scratch the bottle nor have I ever broken one doing it this way and I have done it this way for over 100 bottles.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #38
dillrepair
Recipes 

yes i'm a new member so i'm sorry to do this to those that like red stripe.... but i think that beer tastes like drinking water soaked straw.... not appealing to me... the bottles on the other hand are very cool... my impression of the mixed results for chemicals is that some of the bottles must be painted differently (or some small variance in manufacturing process that they don't care about) than others... for example i was able to use a razorblade to effectively remove the paint of a whole bottle... no problem; then all the others i tried (even after a day of soaking in star san) didn't budge... furthermore all the paint on the corona light bottles i put in with them came off easily... i'm thinking skip the chemical approach and simply go mechanical here.... i am about to experiment with a wire wheel on a dremel tool....

addendum: it appears that someone at the bar next door enjoys red stripe so these have been the only bottles scavengable lately.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #39
creepybckrubgirl
Recipes 

Default delabeling red stripe stubbies

it can be teadious but if you're dead set on having these awesome stubbies it can take up to 48 hours, a copper scrub, baking soda, and maybe some elbow grease. Boil bottles in water w baking soda for 30 min and then leave overnight - the following night. Some I find peel with ease and others I have to use the copper scrub and elbow grease, but I'm excited to say that it's possible!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #40
cubbyandmel
Recipes 

Not sure about others' lack of success with CLR. I have done it to over 100 bottles bought all over the southeast with the same results. Soak for 15 minutes in undiluted CLR and the label wipes off with your finger. This works on Corona, Rogue, etc.

As far as contaminating your bottles, make sure the cup you put them in is shorter than the bottle, just enough to cover the label. Once you are done, rinse in hot water and StarSan for sterilization.

Ryan Culbertson
Navy flier, dad, and husband
"God, Your sky is so big and my plane is so crummy. Please don't let me eat it." - H.M. Murdock

Quick Reply