Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Removing mineral deposits on bottles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
firepunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 55
Default Removing mineral deposits on bottles

So I just got 21+ swing top bottles from my dad but they are covered in and out with mineral deposits. He had been using them as weights to hold down some tarp on the ground in his garden.

They have been sitting in the backyard for like a year or so filled with hose water and then when they watered the garden they had hose water sprinkled on them for over a year.

I've soaked them in oxyclean and scrubbed them in and out a couple times now, and run them through the dishwasher a couple times as well and still mineral deposits everywhere. I'm considering trying a soak in vinegar water but was wondering if there was a simpler less stinky method to get rid of those darn deposits.

Thanks

__________________

On deck: Something... maybe a pear cider.
Fermenting: German Hefe
Kegged: Nada ATM

"Who could possibly need 5 gallons of beer?" -swmbo in reference to me buying a homebrew kit.

firepunk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BlindLemonLars's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,445
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Have you tried a soak in StarSan? It's slightly acidic, and may do the trick.

__________________
BlindLemonLars is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Chad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 1,036
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Have you tried something like CLR?

Chad

__________________
Chad Ward
An Edge in the Kitchen
William Morrow Cookbooks
www.chadwrites.com
Chad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,581
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I second the star san idea, if you cant find star san ammonia works exceptionally well, but probably even more of a stink than the vinegar.

__________________

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/
Donasay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
firepunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 55
Default

the starsan has worked wonders! I let the bottles soak for about 30 mins in starsan and 85% of the bottles look as good as new. The other 15% just get another soaking and some elbow grease.

Now to replace the washers.

__________________

On deck: Something... maybe a pear cider.
Fermenting: German Hefe
Kegged: Nada ATM

"Who could possibly need 5 gallons of beer?" -swmbo in reference to me buying a homebrew kit.

firepunk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing Paint from Bottles Schlenkerla Equipment/Sanitation 11 01-27-2012 04:04 AM
Removing Labels From Bottles ghostbrewer Bottling/Kegging 43 03-23-2010 03:17 PM
Gunk in bottom of free bottles - hard water deposits? BeerNewbie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 01-20-2009 05:36 AM
Removing mold from old bottles MX1 Bottling/Kegging 4 07-15-2008 06:08 PM
removing labels from bottles hoppedup Bottling/Kegging 6 07-17-2006 06:41 AM