The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Removing labels from bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
cnw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks - especially like the part about the dishwasher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #12
matc07098702
Recipes 

you can sanitize bottle in a dishwasher !? Do you add any soap ?

Old 06-02-2005, 11:59 PM   #13
Kephren

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't add dish soap. The "sheeting action" chemicals in it will also prevent a head from forming on your beer.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #14
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matc07098702
you can sanitize bottle in a dishwasher !? Do you add any soap ?
Actually, very few home dishwashers will work to truly wash OR sanitize beer bottles. 160 degree water isn't near hot enough to do any true sanitizing; further the shape of the bottle prevents the water stream from soaking every part of the inside of the bottle. It's also not common for non-industrial dishwashers to offer a sanitizing cycle. Most dry cycles on home-dishwashers don't get near hot enough. Professional units usually use steam to do the sanitizing, and you aren't getting that in a home unit.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 AM   #15
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
Actually, very few home dishwashers will work to truly wash OR sanitize beer bottles. 160 degree water isn't near hot enough to do any true sanitizing; further the shape of the bottle prevents the water stream from soaking every part of the inside of the bottle. It's also not common for non-industrial dishwashers to offer a sanitizing cycle. Most dry cycles on home-dishwashers don't get near hot enough. Professional units usually use steam to do the sanitizing, and you aren't getting that in a home unit.

You and I have been through this before, and I don't know how to prove it any better than sourcing the offical Food and Drug Administration web site yet AGAIN:
FDA

"Hot water for handwashing shall be of a temperature of at least 110°F. Hot water for mechanical dishwashing must be 150°F-165°F for washing and 165°F-180°F for sanitizing. The temperature of the wash solution in spray-type warewashers that use chemicals to sanitize may not be less than 120°F. The water temperature for manual hot water sanitization must be at least 171°F."

I'm going to edit my original post that included the temperature, because I wrongly said it was 160 degrees, when sanitizing is actually 165+ degrees.
However, you are sorely wrong on your statement about home dishwashers not being able to sanitize. I have a low end Kenmore model that has a special sanitizing cycle. Based on your information (which you've provided no accurate source) should I go ahead and prepare the lawsuit against Sears for false advertising?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-03-2005, 03:59 AM   #16
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
You and I have been through this before, and I don't know how to prove it any better than sourcing the offical Food and Drug Administration web site yet AGAIN:
FDA

"Hot water for handwashing shall be of a temperature of at least 110°F. Hot water for mechanical dishwashing must be 150°F-165°F for washing and 165°F-180°F for sanitizing. The temperature of the wash solution in spray-type warewashers that use chemicals to sanitize may not be less than 120°F. The water temperature for manual hot water sanitization must be at least 171°F."

I'm going to edit my original post that included the temperature, because I wrongly said it was 160 degrees, when sanitizing is actually 165+ degrees.
However, you are sorely wrong on your statement about home dishwashers not being able to sanitize. I have a low end Kenmore model that has a special sanitizing cycle. Based on your information (which you've provided no accurate source) should I go ahead and prepare the lawsuit against Sears for false advertising?
Regardless, I still stand by the fact that the design of a huge majority of beer bottles prevents the water stream from the dishwasher from fully coating the inside of the bottle. That alone should give you a pause when considering using a dishwasher for this purpose. They weren't meant or designed for this purpose.

If it's worked for you, great. I won't chance it. I've seen too many cases of food poisoning from improper sanitization (I've worked in a hospital ER for many years now) to trust this. There is a world of difference between home an pro dishwashing and santizing systems. Home sanitization is vastly different from the standards that MUST be used in the professional environment.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #17
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

The good news is, you aren't going to get food poisoning from infected homebrew, just bad homebrew.

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 06-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #18
matc07098702
Recipes 

but anyway the highest temperature that i can reach with my dishwasher is 140 F..that's not enough

Old 06-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #19
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i just bottle with the labels on if they are a pain to get off, eventually they wear off.

there is a local brew pub that sells their wares in 12 oz bottles, but the label is glued on with wheat paste or something and the labels are laminated in some shiny water impervious coating. even after a long soak the lables are still firmly attached, so i just pour the beer in and never mind the labels. as long as the inside and lip are sanitized...

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #20
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm so damn happy. I had somewhere around 280 bottles I had accumulated over the years and this spring when I began brewing like crazy, I gave every one of them a good cleaning. I used a wire brush and metal putty knife type thing to remove the labels after a good 1 week soaking. The hardest ones to remove were the ones that I had put on my previous batches of beer. They were horrible.

Now none of my beer is labeled. All of my bottles are spotless, full of beer, and when my wife gets around to creating labels for them, she's insisting on using a paper stock and glue sticking them on. When they get wet, they'll come right off. My next big project with the bottles is to weed out all the green ones and give them to friends.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Quick Reply