Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Removing labels from beer bottles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #31
bluehouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

AirRageous, I have the same isue with the cervesa bottles & basically with all the bottles that have the foil type label. I like the Modelo bottles size & shape but that foil neck cover is terrible.

BTW your wife is a great woman, great minds think alike.

(Quote from SWMBO)
"We have been married for 35 years and I figured out the other day that if I had shot him when we first met ..... I'd be out of prison by now!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #32
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I leave the bottles with labels to the left of the kitchen sink. Within a day or two I find them draining in the dish rack.... I kiss my wife frequently

Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #33
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadjanet View Post
AirRageous, I have the same isue with the cervesa bottles & basically with all the bottles that have the foil type label. I like the Modelo bottles size & shape but that foil neck cover is terrible.

BTW your wife is a great woman, great minds think alike.

(Quote from SWMBO)
"We have been married for 35 years and I figured out the other day that if I had shot him when we first met ..... I'd be out of prison by now!"
Janet, I'm sure you and my wife would get along just fine .... I can just picture the plots that would arise........

And she lies about her age also. She has a twin brother who is 55 but she is only 39 ?????

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

My Theme Song: "I Like Beer"

Old 03-21-2010, 03:50 AM   #34
DakotaSchmidty
Recipes 

No need to waste oxyclean if you have Sam Adams bottles. Just soak for 30-45 mins. in warm water and they slide right off and bring most of the glue with. Sometimes the label on the neck leaves a lot of glue behind, but you can rub it off very easily with your fingers while holding it under running water. Just tried some Breckenridge bottles today, and no such luck. The glue is much tougher to get off, even after several hours of soaking.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #35
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaSchmidty View Post
No need to waste oxyclean if you have Sam Adams bottles. Just soak for 30-45 mins. in warm water and they slide right off and bring most of the glue with. Sometimes the label on the neck leaves a lot of glue behind, but you can rub it off very easily with your fingers while holding it under running water. Just tried some Breckenridge bottles today, and no such luck. The glue is much tougher to get off, even after several hours of soaking.
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. A 45 minute soak in 1-Step Clenser takes off even the hardest lables. Breckenridge labels just fall right off.

I used to do Sam Adams bottles because I could get them in 12-packs for cheap. Then I started to think about entering contests (they won't accept bottles stamped with logos) and about handing people a unlabled bottle stamped with someone's logo. "What did you do, just take the lable off of a Sam Adams and say it's your beer?". Don't want that question ever coming up, so I stopped using those bottles.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 03-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #36
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I use the Walmart Oxyclean knockoff, Sun. It works great. I never have a film left on the bottles, but then I only use a small amount.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #37
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Bridgeport labels, IMO, are the most difficult to remove. Ive soaked them overnight in oxyclean and they still are a pain in the @ss. So now, if I buy a 6 pack of bridgeport I just recycle the bottles instead.
-Jefe-

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 03-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #38
barleyhole
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Smuttynose bottles are a nightmare. I bought a case of pumpkin ale last fall 1. because I really like it and 2. I could use the bottles. THREE DAYS of an oxyclean bath later, the labels were still dried on pretty good. Fortunately I had bought this utility knife with a curved blade to help wittle off the label and got them cleaned eventually. Everyone should use the Sam Adams glue...they come off after 20 minutes in a cooler of ice water!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #39
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on Oxyclean.

I have had issues with labels from Great Lakes and Bells bottles more than any other brand I consume regularly. Bells labels are such a PITA that I usually recycle.

Easiest bottles to scrub? New Belgium, Sam Adams, Schlafly come to mind. I'm eager to claim those at parties for my homebrewing. Fat Tire 22 oz bombers are great to reuse!

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Old 03-22-2010, 03:02 AM   #40
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. A 45 minute soak in 1-Step Clenser takes off even the hardest lables. Breckenridge labels just fall right off.

I used to do Sam Adams bottles because I could get them in 12-packs for cheap. Then I started to think about entering contests (they won't accept bottles stamped with logos) and about handing people a unlabled bottle stamped with someone's logo. "What did you do, just take the lable off of a Sam Adams and say it's your beer?". Don't want that question ever coming up, so I stopped using those bottles.
You are probably right here, man.

My own method, tested yesterday over 2-3 hours. I cleaned, delabeled and sanitized 3 cases of bottles in hot water and StarSan. Most of the labels came right off. The rest of them i used a curved metal scraper. To remove the glue i used a square of blue aquarium filter sponge media (same stuff i used to scrub my bottling bucket, etc.). The labels i had the worst time with were labels that used vinyl stickets and foil necks. All were clean. Some glue residue, but nothing to be concerned about.

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Quick Reply