removing labels with beer in it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deranged_hermit

Reaction score
hey guys, has anyone ever encountered any problems with removing the labels from bottles when there is beer inside? my roommate just bottled his newcastle, and all the bottles have the old labels on them. is it okay to use oxyclean in the appropriate amount and submerge those bottles for extended periods of time to remove the labels? i dont want to wreck the beer, but i'd also like to remove the labels at the same time.

If the water isn't too warm it shouldn't be a problem. If the cap can seal beer and pressure in there, it'll keep anything else from getting in. If the water is too warm (or too cold) you might shock your yeast. If they're already carbonated, don't worry about a thing.

I would assume that the oxyclean would get the label off even if it was pretty cold. I don't really see a problem with that. I guess maybe you wouldn't want to warm it up, no matter what stage of conditioning it's in though.

Why do you need to remove the labels now???? Wait til they're empty and then do it!

Instead of Oxyclean use some ammonia mixed in cold water. Use enough to cover the labels. The labels will slide off by themselves in about a day

now first off i agree that you should just wait till they are empty. but if you feel like you have to remove the labels now, oxy clean will remove them with really cold water. i used water from the outside faucet last time i removed a bunch of labels. the water had to have been 40 degrees. it worked like a charm.

Back