Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > removing labels with beer in it...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #1
deranged_hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default removing labels with beer in it...

hey guys, has anyone ever encountered any problems with removing the labels from bottles when there is beer inside? my roommate just bottled his newcastle, and all the bottles have the old labels on them. is it okay to use oxyclean in the appropriate amount and submerge those bottles for extended periods of time to remove the labels? i dont want to wreck the beer, but i'd also like to remove the labels at the same time.

6.6.06 Ale (4/12)
Oatmeal Stout (4/20)
On deck:
Stella Artois

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
rewster451

Recipes 

If the water isn't too warm it shouldn't be a problem. If the cap can seal beer and pressure in there, it'll keep anything else from getting in. If the water is too warm (or too cold) you might shock your yeast. If they're already carbonated, don't worry about a thing.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man, you guys...what are you thinking??? You don't want to change (warm) the temp of the beer...

Just put a damn giant X through the label with a big magic marker until the bottles empty!

Old 03-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
rewster451

Recipes 

I would assume that the oxyclean would get the label off even if it was pretty cold. I don't really see a problem with that. I guess maybe you wouldn't want to warm it up, no matter what stage of conditioning it's in though.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Old 03-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Why do you need to remove the labels now???? Wait til they're empty and then do it!

Old 03-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Instead of Oxyclean use some ammonia mixed in cold water. Use enough to cover the labels. The labels will slide off by themselves in about a day

Cheers,
Rich

Old 03-06-2006, 12:54 AM   #7
subwyking
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

now first off i agree that you should just wait till they are empty. but if you feel like you have to remove the labels now, oxy clean will remove them with really cold water. i used water from the outside faucet last time i removed a bunch of labels. the water had to have been 40 degrees. it worked like a charm.

Quick Reply