*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Removing Commercial Beer Labels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #41
debbinkm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just tried the Oxyclean method on a bunch of different bottles including Sam Adams, Abita, Guinness, and Red Hook. Hot water and 4 scoops of Oxyclean per gallon got the labels 100% off in about 2-3 hours with no help on my part. I honestly didn't expect it to work that well!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #42
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2169 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Did some more bottles this weekend. Hot Oxi for a few hours then a quick scrub and a dunk in some acidic water to remove the deposits that formed on the bottles due to high alkalinity.

I've found that the mil acid will remove the painted-on labels.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #43
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Not to pop open an old thread but I thought I should add that I just finished removing some labels and what I used was a Greased Lightning and hot water soak for less than an hour or so. I had Sweetwater bottles and a McSorley's bottle. The labels peeled right off and the adhesive took a very light scrub with a scotch brite pad. Just thought I would add to the discussion on label removal. Just made a deal with a pizza place that serves craft beer to get empty bottles so I will add to it if I run across a brand of label that this technique does not work for.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #44
wtowers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oxi clean method is by far the best, they don't have to soak long at all, glue can be simply cleaned off by a scotch brite kitchen sponge

Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #45
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbinkm View Post
Just tried the Oxyclean method on a bunch of different bottles including Sam Adams, Abita, Guinness, and Red Hook. Hot water and 4 scoops of Oxyclean per gallon got the labels 100% off in about 2-3 hours with no help on my part. I honestly didn't expect it to work that well!
How big are these scoops? That seems like a lot. I've found that if I use too much OxyFree and leave it for too long, I get a carbonate scale on the bottles. I've found that a little goes a long way when removing labels.

Quick Reply