Removing Commercial Beer Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tried the Oxyclean method on a bunch of different bottles including Sam Adams, Abita, Guinness, and Red Hook. Hot water and 4 scoops of Oxyclean per gallon got the labels 100% off in about 2-3 hours with no help on my part. I honestly didn't expect it to work that well!

Did some more bottles this weekend. Hot Oxi for a few hours then a quick scrub and a dunk in some acidic water to remove the deposits that formed on the bottles due to high alkalinity.

I've found that the mil acid will remove the painted-on labels.

Not to pop open an old thread but I thought I should add that I just finished removing some labels and what I used was a Greased Lightning and hot water soak for less than an hour or so. I had Sweetwater bottles and a McSorley's bottle. The labels peeled right off and the adhesive took a very light scrub with a scotch brite pad. Just thought I would add to the discussion on label removal. Just made a deal with a pizza place that serves craft beer to get empty bottles so I will add to it if I run across a brand of label that this technique does not work for.

Oxi clean method is by far the best, they don't have to soak long at all, glue can be simply cleaned off by a scotch brite kitchen sponge

Just tried the Oxyclean method on a bunch of different bottles including Sam Adams, Abita, Guinness, and Red Hook. Hot water and 4 scoops of Oxyclean per gallon got the labels 100% off in about 2-3 hours with no help on my part. I honestly didn't expect it to work that well!

How big are these scoops? That seems like a lot. I've found that if I use too much OxyFree and leave it for too long, I get a carbonate scale on the bottles. I've found that a little goes a long way when removing labels.

Reserecting an old thread because I found something that works very well on both the label the glue underneath and requires no hot water or scrubbing.

Purple Power. Roughly 1/2 cup per two gallons of cold water and even Bells
comes right off in an hour or so. Just put on rubber gloves and wipe it off with your hand and then rinse.

I will try it on Smithwicks soon. They were tough like Bells

Smithwicks bottle are spotless with no scrubbing after 2.5 hours in room temp water and Purple Power.

Back