Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Rehab old corney kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
tonymark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rehab old corney kegs?

I have several 5 gallon corney kegs. Some of the have sit dormant for 10+ years. A few set outdoors for 6+ years (with funky beer residue). Some were half full of a bad batch of beer that was never thrown out.

What is the best way to rehab the funkiest kegs? I was going to clean the disassembled kegs with caustic. Can the valves, poppet, and o-rings handle caustic or should I use another cleaner/strategy for those?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
deadpool76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd change every o-rings and the poppets, just to be safe (and it's not really expensive). The rest should have no problems since it's all stainless.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
tonymark
Recipes 

Default Best deal on poppets

I have some replacement tube and post o-rings. Where is the best deal on poppets (reasonable shipping also)? The kegs are Firestone pin-lock.

Do you think I could soak the poppets in caustic for a few minutes just to get by for kegging my first 10 gal batch tomorrow.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Check the poppets out. If they're nasty, just replace them with new ones. I'd give the kegs a good hit with hot PBW solution (mix up about 1.5oz per gallon of hot water) and let it soak for a few hours. Shake it up in the kegs initially, and then after about 20-30 minutes of soaking. Put enough to go over the fill level of what was sitting in the kegs.

I agree with replacing all the o-rings too. You can also run the hot PBW solution through the liquid tube, and use a brush inside it (to get any really nasty stuff out).

IF PBW won't get the kegs cleaned, with a bit of brush work, then you could try some citric acid solution. I've used that to remove oxidization from metal before. Mix that up hot too.

For parts, I'd check with Keg Connection first... Without knowing where you are located, shipping could be pretty fast (rates are typically very reasonable).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply