Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > regulator wont go above 12 PSI

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
puckjer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default regulator wont go above 12 PSI

I purchased a dual body regulator from keg connection a couple months ago with my 2 keg kit. It has worked fine as I have only been using one side to run a commercial keg which has worked great. I finally got a batch of homebrew finished and kegged it last night. I hooked it up to the gas to start carbonating it and for some reason, no matter how hard I tighten the screws on the body of the regulators I cant get the pressure to go above about 10-12 PSI on either one. On my commercial keg I am serving at a pressure of about 10 psi (5 ft of beer line). I would like to carbonate my homebrew at around 12 PSI for a week or two. Would this have anything to do with me storing the CO2 tank inside the kegerator? Would the cold affect the reading on the regulator gauge so it isn’t actually 12 PSI but much higher? I wouldn’t think that would be the case because if it were much higher, my commercial keg would be pouring much faster and have a lot of foam. When I set it (commercial keg) at 10 PSI it pours nice and smooth so I would think the reading would be about right. The temp in my kegerator is about 38 degrees. I discovered that it wouldn’t go over 12 psi last night when i first hooked it up to the homebrew keg and was trying to crank it up to about 20 psi so I could put a nice blanket of CO2 on the top of the keg and purge all the oxygen but I couldn’t get it to go up that high so I just purged a few times at the 12 psi range. It seemed that there was a good amount of pressure coming out when I purged. There were no leaks that I could see in the keg as I sprayed a bubble solution to check all my connections and the lid so I don’t think that is the case either. i also checked it this morning and the pressure was still holding steady at 11 PSI with no drop in the high pressure guage. Is there a way to tighten down the screws on the regulator more to get a higher PSI? i have tightened them with the screw driver as tight as they will go. any ideas? what am i missing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Contact Keg Connection. You should be able to crank that regulator up to 20,30,40, etc. without issue and without regard to temperatures. I can easily go from 2 psi to 30 psi on any of mine.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just to Double check, you've got the nut loose that is attached to the screw?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

The regulator adjustment screw has a packing nut on its threaded portion. As Sleepyemt said, this nut needs to be loose.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
puckjer
Recipes 

thanks guys, i will try that.

Quick Reply