Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Regulator slowly rises in pressure?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
sbb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Regulator slowly rises in pressure?

Hey guys... I've got a dual body regulator. I used the second regulator to force carb a beer, and afterwards it wont hold a pressure steady. it slowly rises by about 1 psi in 10 seconds. Even with the regulator turned off! Both the tank and regulators are in the kegerator because it is in the garage and it gets really hot here in the summer. Any thought? Maybe a rebuild kit?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Hmm... I'm not sure i understand. It rises continuously by 1psi per 10 seconds? Or it just bumps up by a single psi once? In either case, rises relative to what? When does it start rising?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
sbb
Recipes 

Sorry... So the regulator is completely off (unscrewed the adjuster). Yet the gauge will slowly rise in pressure. And there is co2 leaving the gauge. Is that more clear?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb View Post
Sorry... So the regulator is completely off (unscrewed the adjuster). Yet the gauge will slowly rise in pressure. And there is co2 leaving the gauge. Is that more clear?
It's hooked up to the beer? If so, it means your beer is higher than the pressure you are trying to hold.

It sounds like your beer must have been at a higher pressure at some point, and is overcarbed, and your regulator is turned lower than that pressure.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
sbb
Recipes 

Sorry, I'm doing a terrible job at explaining this.

Beer isn't hooked up. There is a hose connected to this problematic regulator with a pin lock connector on the other end. Valve is completely off (unscrewed til it's very loose), yet the pressure as read on the guage will rise from zero to well over 45psi over time. And there is pressure (not just a guage issue), as verified at the pin-lock connector by pushing the thing that pushes the poppet valve (gas escaped). Also the same can be seen by pulling the pressure release valve in this specific regulator body.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
JohnnyO
Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb

Beer isn't hooked up. There is a hose connected to this problematic regulator with a pin lock connector on the other end. Valve is completely off (unscrewed til it's very loose), yet the pressure as read on the guage will rise from zero to well over 45psi over time. And there is pressure (not just a guage issue), as verified at the pin-lock connector by pushing the thing that pushes the poppet valve (gas escaped). Also the same can be seen by pulling the pressure release valve in this specific regulator body.
Sounds like it might be a bad diaphragm in the regulator. It will allow more pressure to bleed through than intended. There is a repair kit available to fix this pretty cheap.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
sbb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Sounds like it might be a bad diaphragm in the regulator. It will allow more pressure to bleed through than intended. There is a repair kit available to fix this pretty cheap.
I kinda thought this was the case. Are these repair kits specific to the brand of the regulator? Or are they fairly generic?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 768 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 523

You will need a kit for your specific regulator.

I had a similar problem with mine. It turned out to not be the diaphragm but a loose valve seat. The seat is brass pressed into the regulator body. I just tapped it back in and it solved my problem. I'll post the link to my thread in a bit...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/help-rebuilding-cornelius-regulator-193608/

Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb View Post

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, to concur with Johnny O, sounds like a bad diaphragm. The brand does matter sometimes, though many regulators use similar parts.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
OntarioBeerKegs
www.OntarioBeerKegs.com
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Before you go spending money try burst blasting the offending regulator by turning it up all the way and bursting co2 through a unobstructed (hoses removed and open) outlet a few seconds a few times. If that does not work open it clean the diaphragm and inspect for rough edges that can be fixed. Lubed.

Quick Reply