Regulator not regulating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daybis

Reaction score
I am new to kegging, so maybe I am missing something. I purchased a two keg kit from midwest. I have a single regular that uses a two way splitter. I have only done one batch, the regulator worked just fine. This past weekend I carbonated some soda. I pressurized at 35 psi for two days. Carbonation is good after the two days. I purge and reset the regulator to 8 psi for dispensing. I come home today and my regulator has the pressure set to well over 60 psi. There is enough pressure reaching the keg where soda is dripping out of my faucet. I purge the keg and turn the regulator all the way down (I unscrewed the screw/nob as far as it would go without forcing it). I turn the gas back on. The pressure gauge slowly goes up without any modifications of the regulator nob. I thought this was a bit strange. I left the keg sit in the fridge for a few hours. I come back and the pressure is around 30 psi, and I haven't touched the regulator screw/nob. I thought "maybe this is from the CO2 in the soda". So I disconnect everything from the regulator and from the kegs. I take the regulator and tank out of the fridge. I do the same thing, but with no keg. This time the pressure increases more quickly. Reaching a pressure of well over 50 psi in less than a minute. I turn off the tank and purge the regulator of an CO2. The pressure does not increase, which makes sense.

So here's my question.... I am running very low on CO2 (~200psi). Could my low pressure in the tank cause my regulator to not regulate properly?

With everything disconnected, if you see it rise steadily without being asked, and without a major temperature change to explain it....I would suspect a bad regulator. I have never experienced this myself, but I've never seen my pressures swing at all when they are at a constant temperature.

I figured it might be a bad regulator. I'll send Midwest an e-mail and see what they can do about it.

Thanks guys.

I have a regulator that is maxed out at 20 PSI. I thought it should be able to push much more pressure than that. I know I can still force carbonate with this pressure, but I am not sure if this is a symptom of some other problem with my regulator.

It is in my cooler at about 34 degrees. I have one regulator set to 9 psi pushing a 1/6 barrel (been there for over a week) and the other regulator maxed out pushing 19-20 psi (set it 24 hours ago and the needle has not moved) to force carbonate a larger.

I did turn the set screw a bit this morning to try to up the pressure, but still no movement on the needle - but I did hear some gas flowing.

Any thoughts on why I am getting such low pressure on the gauge? It was a new corny regulator I bought from Midwest Supply less than 2 months ago.

Back