Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Regulator leak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Fid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Regulator leak

So I know there are plenty of these threads on the forum but I couldn't find one addressing this issue specifically. My regulator seems to be leaking from a pinhole in the metal on the back where the 2 gauges meet (the leak not coming from an area where anything physically connects to anything else)... not positive the term for it... regulator body maybe? Anyone seen this happen before? Is there a solution? Its a new regulator <2 months old...am I possibly just misdiagnosing the location of the leak? Let me know if anyones got any answers... If theres confusion about what exactly Im talking about let me know and I can post some pics.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 794 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 548

What brand? I had a similar problem with a dual Cornelius. If you check my threads you can see what I had to do. I'd post the link but can't figure that out from my phone.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
Fid
Recipes 

Is this the thread?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/help...ulator-193608/

I got my regulator from kegconnection.com, I'd post a link but my internet is crawling along right now for some reason and I got tired of waiting for it but its the basic dual gauge they sell on their site. Basically you suggest that I just rip it apart, Thwack it a few times, and throw the sucker back together? Sounds like my kinda repair job!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
Fid
Recipes 

Its made by Chudnow MFG.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
lutherslagers
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

To get a true visual of where the leak is happening put some liquid dish soap and water is a spray bottle, shake it up and spray the regulator until you see bubbles. The bubbles will reveal where the leak is.

I had a leak with my Kegconnection.com Chud regulator. I fixed it by adding a second regulator washer (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=410). Two of them together was my solution.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fid
Is this the thread?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/help...ulator-193608/

I got my regulator from kegconnection.com, I'd post a link but my internet is crawling along right now for some reason and I got tired of waiting for it but its the basic dual gauge they sell on their site. Basically you suggest that I just rip it apart, Thwack it a few times, and throw the sucker back together? Sounds like my kinda repair job!
I cannot say for sure what your problem may be. But when you said it was leaking from the weep holes, it reminded me of my issue. All I had to do was tap in the valve seats and it fixed it. You can take the bonnet off and pressurized the body if you have no leaks then your seats are not the problem. Do try the soap and water to be sure where the leak is. It may just be the threads.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Fid
Recipes 

I took it down to my LHBS, we stared at it awhile and decided that the body was cracked... who knows how that happened. Dude's at the brew shop were awesome as always; they went to the back room and brought out the carcasses of about 5 regulators from their pile o' parts and hooked me up with a used taprite regulator that works like a charm on the cheap! Badass people... Just another reason to support your LHBS!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fid
I took it down to my LHBS, we stared at it awhile and decided that the body was cracked... who knows how that happened. Dude's at the brew shop were awesome as always; they went to the back room and brought out the carcasses of about 5 regulators from their pile o' parts and hooked me up with a used taprite regulator that works like a charm on the cheap! Badass people... Just another reason to support your LHBS!
Glad you got it figured out. It sure is nice to have a leak free system. Even the small leaks I had chewed through a 20 lb cylinder real fast. Now I'm still on the same tank since the repair.

Quick Reply