Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Refrigerator for kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
neustkg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Refrigerator for kegerator

I'm new here (posted a thread in introductions) and am getting back into hombrewing after about 8 years off. Unfortunately, my kegerator died last year and I am in the process of looking for a new fridge to convert. I use soda kegs (generally brew about 12 gallons, which makes about 2 soda kegs plus a few extra bottles.

Was wondering if the tall dorm fridges like these will be wide, deep, and tall enough to fit two kegs :

http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/532721105.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/538782147.html

Also, what is the best technique for drilling into the sides for the taps? Since there may be wiring running through that part of the fridge, I don't want to screw that up.

Does anyone have a specific brand of dorm fridge they like for conversions?

Last edited by neustkg; 01-15-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

The best upright type fridge for a kegerator is the Sanyo 4912 - put in a search and you'll get lots of hits. As far as drilling through the side, I don't think you can do that with many at all, however, pretty much all upright fridges and freezers you can drill through the door.

EDIT: That second craigslist one looks very much like a Sanyo 4912.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #3
Lukus
Recipes 

I have also been looking at different mini fridges to use for a Kegerator. It seems like the Sanyo 4912 is the mini fridge of choice for the conversion. The main reason being that it does not have a freezer in it. If you do a search for Sanyo there are pics as well as directions for the DIY conversion.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

There won't be any wiring, but many small fridges put the evaporator in the sides and top. Drilling the door is always safe.

Finding the lines:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=96804&postcount=5

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The safest way to see about drilling the sides of a fridge is to contact the manufacturer with the specific model number. They can tell you where all the evaporator lines etc are located.

If you're just looking for something to hold 1-2 kegs the Sanyo 4912 is a great option as the other guys mentioned.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 01-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

You may also want to look into a Holiday 5cu ft chest freezer and buying a temperature controller. Fits 3 corny kegs, and has space for a 5# CO2 bottle.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
neustkg
Recipes 

After looking at Craigslist, I think I might go the chest freezer route. I already have 3 taps and was able to find a decent chest freezer for $45 and temperature controller at kegworks for about $65. Just need to do a little carpentry work and drilling for the taps.

How energy efficient (overall electricity use) is a chest freezer w/temp controller over a dorm fridge as kegerator?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
neustkg
Recipes 

Default Freezer kegerator

Had a few questions about freezers for kegerators. ColoradoXJ13, I think I saw a pic of yours. Is it necessary to fabricate a wooden collar? Was wondering if I could just take two pieces of wood (1 x 4's) and place one on the outside and the other on the inside and drill 3 holes through them for the tap shanks? Or is the wooden collar to provide support for all the times you will be pulling down on the tap handles?

Also, I saw a few small freezers (Hotpoint I think) in Home Depot and notice that there is a cover (looks like a step) for the compressor that will take up some room, allowing space for maybe 2 corny kegs and my CO2 cylinder. If this cover is in all freezers, I might have to look for a slightly larger freezer so I can fit 3 kegs. I was able to find at least 4 or 5 small chest freezers on craigslist for $45 to $75.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
JustMrWill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Someone correct me if I am wrong but...

I don't think the collar is "needed" it just gives you way to drill holes for taps and CO2 line (if you want to keep it outside of freezer) without chancing drilling into freezer lines. You can always drill through the lid if you want. It also will give you some more height so you may be about to fit kegs on the shelf etc.

-JMW

Old 01-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Yes, the collar just makes it easier to place the shanks. Many people also put a tower tap on the lid. I made a collar on mine because 1) I didn't want to worry about lifting the lid and the tower hitting something and 2) it's cheaper.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Quick Reply