Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Recover Flat Bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
mcowger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recover Flat Bottles?

Hi kids,

So after making my 2nd batch, a good friend from out of town came out and we decide dto make a batch together. We did fine with the primary, I xferred to secondary and then came time to bottle. I messed up when adding the priming sugar by adding it directly to the secondary without making a solution out of it first. As a result, now that I open the bottles 3-4 weeks later, all the beer is flat.

This was a special brew with my friend - if I am willing to rebottle/recap everything, is there anyway for me to save it?

--Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

carb tabs 9 10

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 09-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
mcowger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus
carb tabs 9 10
9-10 tabs per bottle? Pretty sure they wont explode?

Old 09-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

No, no, no! Carb tabs according to the package directions! Open the capped bottles, and add 3 tablets (I think, double check that!) to each 12 ounce bottle. However, since you added priming sugar, I think you are going to have a combination of flat bottles and overcarbonated bottles. I mean, the priming sugar went somewhere, and it seems like it isn't in the few bottles you've opened. So, open them over the sink because you might have a few gushers. It goes without saying, but only add the carb tabs to the flat bottles.

(The last poster typed 9, 10 because you have to have a certain minimum to post and he was just filling up the space!)

Old 09-17-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you decide to recarb your bottles, here is some advice (based on personal experience):

First, you need to try to de-carbonate all your bottles before re-carbing them, especially since you know some of your bottles must be over-carbonated (add carb tabs to them and you will have beer grenades!). I suggest gently prying open the caps just a wee bit to vent them, then agitate them a bit, and do it again.

Once de-carbed, cool your beer as cold as you can get them. Then add carb tabs (they are much easier than measuring out a small and precise amount of dextrose) to the cold beer. If you try to add the carb tabs before de-carbing the beer, especially if they are warm, you are going to cause instant gushers! (Trust me on this one!!!)

Now recap with new caps, and let them sit at room temp for a few days. Then agitate them to ensure the carb tabs got dissolved, and leave them at room temperature for at least another week. That should do it -- best of luck!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #7
trainfever
Recipes 

I am a newbie at all of this so excuse me if this is a dumb suggestion but couldnt he just start over? Open all the bottles and dump them all into your bottling bucket and mix everything properly. I dont know if adding more sugar would be the way to go or to rebottle everything and place Co2 tablets in the bottles.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #8
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Good question trainfever. I think the newbie has a point. If sugar was added but not mixed right, it would all be fermented now anyway after 3-4 weeks. Just dumping them all in the bottling bucket and repriming might be a good idea.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:27 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainfever
I am a newbie at all of this so excuse me if this is a dumb suggestion but couldnt he just start over? Open all the bottles and dump them all into your bottling bucket and mix everything properly. I dont know if adding more sugar would be the way to go or to rebottle everything and place Co2 tablets in the bottles.
Well, no, that wouldn't work. The main reason is because if you open the beer and pour it into the bottling bucket, you'll aerate it something awful. It might mix up better, but it would be exposed to oxygen and would be ruined.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:00 AM   #10
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I guess Yooper Chick is right. That wouldn't work, but I still say it was a good question for a newbie though.. I never had a not carbed batch.

I am drinking a good carbed batch of Yooper Chicks "Fat Tire" recipe right now tho

Quick Reply