Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Reconditioning Kegs - Tip

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Reconditioning Kegs - Tip

I bought a bunch of used Cornies and some of them have what looks to be rust on them (strange since they are supposed to be stainless). When I would remove the posts, the threaded inlets would be stained & look rusted.

I picked up some Liquid Bar Keepers Friend at the local grocery store. This stuff rocks for removing these stains. I just shaked the bottle and covered the stain with this liquid and let sit for a couple hours. Most wiped away and the rest took just a little bit of elbow grease. This stuff get's 5 stars in my book.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd also recommend a brass or stainless small wirebrush. It helps on the threads of the posts. Don't use steel.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply