Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Recondition scratched disconnects?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Recondition scratched disconnects?

I finally got a chest freezer so I've been overhauling my kegs. I just tried to put pressure on them, and one started leaking when I attached a disconnect, but the issue is only with that disconnect. The disconnect leaks on every keg, and none of the others leak on any of the kegs.

Upon closer inspection there are some scratches on the inside of the disconnect, which tells me that I may have a barb on one of my keg posts that I need to find and replace, but it also tells me that if I can't find the barb I'm going to end up going through a ton of disconnects.

That said, is there any way to smooth/seal the scratches and make the disconnect function properly again? Maybe some kind of (non-toxic, food-grade?) filler? I pride myself on being a fairly frugal brewer, and the thought of having to dish out $6-7 every time a disconnect gets a tiny scratch really bugs me.

Thanks!

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 2366

Don't be that frugal!

Look for the potentially offending post, and replace it and your disconnect!

The only "non-toxic, food grade filler" that readily comes to mind would be some R T V silicone.

Some 400 grit wet or dry paper, ( use it wet), rolled up to fit in the disconnect could work for ya', but then you'll always have that "compromised" plastic finish inside the disconnect.

Depends on where you draw the line at your "fairly frugalness" .........

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthcruiser View Post
Don't be that frugal!
Don't have a choice sometimes...

Quote:
The only "non-toxic, food grade filler" that readily comes to mind would be some R T V silicone.
I was thinking something along the lines of beeswax, though it's probably not durable enough.

I need to buy pin-to-ball conversion sets for three kegs, plus disconnects for them. I was hoping to not have to tack on even more for extra disconnects, but that is probably my best option. Thanks for the feedback!

On-Deck:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 10-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

Do scratches on the inside of a QD really cause leak or sanitation problems? The only parts that beer touches are upwards from the o-ring on the post.

Have you taken the QD apart? Maybe there's something stuck on the inside, or that tiny o-ring on the plunger is damaged.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
Do scratches on the inside of a QD really cause leak or sanitation problems? The only parts that beer touches are upwards from the o-ring on the post.
If you look inside the disconnect (where it connects to the post) you'll see a little lip about 1/2-2/3 way toward the top. The o-ring is supposed to seal up against that narrower area. If you put a scratch in that area the seal isn't as tight because the o-ring can't expand into the scratch, thus causing a leak. I haven't experienced this on a liquid disconnect, but it's definitely noticeable on the gas side. I'm not worried about sanitation, I just don't want to have to replace my CO2 tank every other day.

On-Deck:

Old 10-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

Yeah, I guess a scratch in that area will demand a new QD. Small investment for saving your gas.
Stealthcruiser's reply seems very logical.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Quick Reply