Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > rebottling beer in smaller bottle for competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default rebottling beer in smaller bottle for competition

so, I'd like to enter one of my beers in a competition, but I realize I only have 1 12 oz bottle left (should have been more conscious giving so many away around the holidays!)! I need two bottles 10-16 oz to enter. I have a few 22oz and a few 750 ml left. so, can I rebottle one of the bigger bottles into a 12 oz? How do I best go about doing this? I would think I could chill a big bottle down close to freezing and sanitize an empty and freeze it and siphon one to the other and cap. Any flaws in this genius plan?

since it will only be about 10 days from submission to judging I wouldn't think oxidation would be a big deal. I guess carbonation level is the only big concern.

thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think you've got it.

You'll likely loose some carbonation during the xfer but believe you'll be fine.

Bottle an extra or two and try it before sending.

You could use a Carbonator, slightly overcarb, then transfer...just a thought but that would mean you HAVE a Carbonator and you'd have to xfer twice...once to a PET bottle and then to your competition bottles.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Drink this beer, and enter another competition when you have enough beers.

When you enter a contest, you want to be entering the beer in the best state possible. There's really no easy way to move beer from one bottle to another that wouldn't perhaps risk oxydation.

There will be other contests, and other beers to enter. And if you want to enter this recipe, then brew it again in time for the next contest.

And in the future, for every batch you bottle, bottle at least a sixer in plain, unmarked 12 ouncers, and set it aside, JUST for contests. that way come contest time you will have bottles that you can enter, without having to worry about stuff like this.

We get threads like this all the time, and I don't get why folks would even consider messing with something like this....The point of a contest is to enter your beer in it's best condition possible. Not to do something that could oxydize or infect your beer, just in the hopes that it will turn out "ok."

The point of entering contests is to be judged by experts and experts can and will pick up any flaws in your beer.

So really, you don't want to do something that could render your beer in less than stellar or pristine conditions.

There are a million contests, and most of them are on an annual basis...this won't be the only contest, nor will it be the only batch of beer you make...

It's funny. this is the only hobby I have come across where people would try something like this before submitting their heart and soul to a panel of judges.......I mean you don't hear a painter say, "I want to enter my canvas in a contest, the rules say it can be no bigger than 8 x 10, mine's 9 x 12, so I guess I need to get out an exacto blade and cut my painting down to size." Or in your case, I need to paintings, and I have only one, so I'm just gonna cut it in half.

Talk about cutting corners.

If it ain't gonna be perfect, then don't bother......Don't try to compromise...you would be surprised at what the judges can pick up on.

There will be plenty more in your brewing career.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Besides most bjcp contests allow to enter 22 ouncers as well as pints. Double check the rules and enter what you have if you insist.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

you'll also be surprised at how many contests you enter where the judges don't seem to be able to pick a budweiser from DarkLord. Lots of contest horror stories around here

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Drink this beer, and enter another competition when you have enough beers.
You know, that's basically what I decided after I posted this question. I'm not at all into competitions, so I don't know why I was feeling any urge to enter this one. It *is* occasionally nice to get some blind, honest feedback, but why would I want feedback on something I knew had (potentially) some serious problems due to something other than my recipe and process. I really wouldn't be getting anything out of it.

I'll just do some personal "judging" on my remaining bottles from this batch...

Cheers everyone!

Quick Reply