Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > The reality of the bottle bomb.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1010 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 2677

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaltyHops View Post
So would a good option be to add the Montrachet at fermentation end and wait a few weeks to see how much lower the Montrachet will take it before priming/bottling?
I don't think a few weeks would be necessary, but a few days might help. Just to make sure it doesn't start to attenuate more. That stuff can take wine/cider down below 1.000, so it's very hearty. Plus wine and champagne yeast will eat sugars that ale yeast won't. I know a lot of people like to use wine or champagne yeast for bottling high gravity beers, but I prefer to use a high gravity ale yeast. The ale yeast doesn't seem to be able to attenuate quite as much. Just my opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps10

That's the weird thing. It broke into three whole pieces. I had the flaps of the case (wine case) closed, but not interlocked. It blew the flap open, but this was the only piece outside of the box. No beer even until it soaked through the box.

I must have been a sight, nude as a jay bird, handgun drawn tactically entering the room. (Yes, I am trained)
Do they train you with AND without underwear or just without them?

LoL - sorry, I just had to say it!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

These posts always cause me to remember to wear safety glasses when handling my conditioning bottles before they are chilled but now I'm thinking maybe I need a full faced helmet!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
danielbt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had a bottle bomb (also a barley wine) that broke the bottle in a very similar way. No fragments, just large pieces.

I assume it was a chipped or slightly defective bottle.

Quick Reply