Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > R.I.P. 3 year old Whirlpool

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I have a whirlpool. I did NOT spend the cash on a 5-year warranty so I'm guaranteed to have issues. Good news is, Lowe's is great about delivering and hauling away when the time comes.
I only know this cuz I murdered my first W.P. inside the first year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

She may not be dead yet, unplug her for for a day or so if you can stand it.
This will allow all the refrigerant to settle and collect in the compressor, then fire it up and try again.

Mine is older than I am. She occasionally needs a short break...

Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredge73 View Post
She may not be dead yet, unplug her for for a day or so if you can stand it.
This will allow all the refrigerant to settle and collect in the compressor, then fire it up and try again.

Mine is older than I am. She occasionally needs a short break...
In a slightly different respect, I have an ancient R-12 Sanyo mini fridge that I converted into a ferm chamber, and I feared I killed it by allowing it to short cycle for a few days when I had nothing fermenting in it. (the fan circulating the air was making it cycle on and off far too frequently due to the exposed temp probe) It started to make a strange noise when it was trying to fire up, and when I unplugged it a loud clunk came from the compressor. I thought I killed it.

A few days later I plugged it back in and it it started cycling fine. No worries.

I think mredge is onto something.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Ok, unplugged and I'll try her again on Sunday night. I've also heard a hammer to the compressor can sometimes unstick it but because I can hear the compressor running, I don't think that's the problem. It would be nice if I could get the same exact model because the conversion is a matter of swapping the hinges to the new body. Hey, I guess I found one more reason collar-on-the-lid can be beneficial.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

She's dead. After 5 days of rest, I plugged it back in and the A419 read 58F and kicked the compressor on. It sounds like it's running as normal but after 2 hours it's still at 58F which is just under what the garage ambient was.

Whirlpool has a 10 year warranty on the sealed cooling unit but admittedly we're violating that policy by converting to a kegerator. I doubt I could get it back to looking like a proper-use freezer but then again, I wonder if an authorized repairman would even care. I mean, it's not money out of his pocket right?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

And this is why I went to a used commercial Beverage Air Kegerator after my keezer died. If needed I can purchase/repair the actual cooling unit. It comes slides right out after disconnecting a few wires.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-10-2011, 03:08 AM   #17
mschaefer56
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

Whirlpool has a 10 year warranty on the sealed cooling unit but admittedly we're violating that policy by converting to a kegerator. I doubt I could get it back to looking like a proper-use freezer but then again, I wonder if an authorized repairman would even care. I mean, it's not money out of his pocket right?
Find a way to get it to me and I'll fix it for you....or find a local and hope
he likes beer

Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

You know what's super frustrating? Someone on Craigslist posts the exact freezer I need for a great price and they won't return emails. WTF. What a tease. It's probably a one time opportunity I have to just swap the collar/lid and be back in business.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
diodeart
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I dub thee revived. I'm in the middle of my chest freezer woes. I moved it, cleaned it by spraying it with a hose, then turned it on its side to get the water out. Which may have been one maneuver too many. Tried to fire it up, no luck. Just waited 24 hrs to try again. Please lord use your healing powers to help my beer stay cold.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
diodeart
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 45

This thread got revived just like my chest freezer.
No pulse.

Quick Reply