The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > R.I.P. 3 year old Whirlpool

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default R.I.P. 3 year old Whirlpool

WTF.. my whirlpool chest freezer is dying and it's only going on 4 years old. The Ranco is shooting for 40F and the compressor sounds like it's running for ever but it can only get it down to 48F. The Ambient is only 55F so this isn't looking good. I have the ASD set to 8 minutes so it's not like I've been short cycling it. Dammit.. I don't want to build another one.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sorry to hear your plight, they just don't make'em like they used to...

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 12-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Have you cleaned the back of the unit? Dust can cause problems. You ought to get a vintage Perlick...they are beautiful and can take a beating

Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Sorry to hear it Bobby.....that really sucks! Hopefully some of the others' suggestions will help revive the unit, but it doesn't sound good at all. My biggest fear is that the chest freezer I used for my coffin keezer goes out and I have to tear the whole frickin' thing apart and rebuild it. My wife dragged me out on black friday and Walmart had the exact 7 cu.ft. GE that I used for my build for $120. There were several sitting there in the isle and I almost bought one for a back up if my current one fails, but we were visiting my parents for the weekend and had our small SUV, so I didn't have a way of transporting it. Hearing stories like this makes me want to purchase another and just leave it in the box in my storage area of the basement for when the time comes. Good luck....I hope it works out for you.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

In your case it may end up being more reasonable to have it fixed if it ever dies.... unless you do buy a backup before they are discontinued.

I don't know why dust would matter in the chest style freezers. I think all the heat dissipation occurs just behind the outer skin.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5976 Times on 5247 Posts
Likes Given: 670

What's the longest anyone has used a chest freezer as a keezer?

I fear a bunch of these threads popping up in the next couple years as it seems they really aren't designed to cycle on/off as much as it does in a keezer set up.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I didn't expect an early failure because I always have at least 20 gallons of liquid mass in there. It didn't cycle any more than it would have with a few frozen turkeys that I know of.

New Stuff?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5976 Times on 5247 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I didn't expect an early failure because I always have at least 20 gallons of liquid mass in there. It didn't cycle any more than it would have with a few frozen turkeys that I know of.
That's a good point. I guess I'm just more conscious of my keezer cycling since it is in the house, versus the chest freezer in the garage...

Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I am betting the keezers cycle more than they would if used an an actual freezer.

WHen the freezer's thermostat is in control, it might be allowing a +/- 10* swing around the set-point, but it always stays "frozen".

With the external thermostats, the range is going to be tighter and it will cycle more.

Maybe?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I dunno. When my kegs are empty, the keezer's unplugged. Granted, that's not exactly a majority of the time, but I give her a break when I can. Mine's going on 4 years, bought it used... time will tell, I guess. This is a good thing to be aware of. If my keezer craps out, I'm going to go with a fridge next time. Sure, less capacity, but it's designed to operate much closer to the temp range for serving homebrew. No worries about cycling/condensation etc. So it goes.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Quick Reply