Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > quick natural carbing kegs questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
J311gonzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default quick natural carbing kegs questions

so I just got my corny kegs today... i want to natuarlly carb them with corn sugar... first one is a porter... my question is I'm not leaving it in a fridge, it will be in my basement, so is this ok? and on the same line, if I carb it to 2.4 volumes at 65 degrees, will it be the same when I chill it to serving temps? also are there any cons to naturally carbing a keg???

I was thinking about using on of these kegs as a "real ale" keg, using it backwards and upside down... I read it on here... have any of you done that?

like always thanks for all and any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You don't want it to be in the fridge while carbing, the basement would be better, but someplace in the 70 degree range would be best. Main con is a little sediment at the bottom of the keg which clears in the first pint or two.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1236 Times on 998 Posts

I've never carbed in a keg, but from my bottle-carbing days I know that you want to use the right amount of fermentables so the beer is properly carbed at the serving temperature.

This priming calculator should make that fairly easy to get right...

Cheers!

Quick Reply