Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Quick Kegging Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
stewart194
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Quick Kegging Questions

I finally ordered and received my kegging equipment last week and am ready to keg 10 gallons of beer this weekend. I just realized that I forgot a 2-way splitter that allows me to connect both kegs to the same CO2 tank at the same time.

I've also decided that I'm going to do the "set and forget" method of carbing. I plan on putting it on 10 or 12 PSI and leaving it for 2 to 3 weeks before drinking it.

If I set my regulator to 12 and put 12 psi on one keg, disconnect the gas line and then put 12 psi on the other keg...shouldn't they both stay at 12 psi with the CO2 off? (If they don't have any leaks?)

Also, since my refrigerator can only hold 2 kegs, and I plan on having at least 4 total...instead of using priming sugar in the spare kegs...can I just put 12 psi on them and store them in the closet at room temp for several weeks before using them? Shouldn't they be carbed and ready to go when I do put them in play?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
donk5
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

No, that is not how it works. The beer will be absorbing CO2 in order to carbinate and thus they need to be pressurized the entire time they are carbing.

Draft: Galexohop IPA
Carbing:
Fermenting:

Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 124

No. You need to have continuous pressure to carbonate the beer in the keg. If you just give it a shot of gas and then turn it off, the beer will absorb some of it until the volume of CO2 in the beer equalizes with the CO2 in the headspace, but the level of carbonation in the beer will likely be undetectable.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Even if you leave it on the gas (which you must), 12psi at room temp won't carb anywhere like it will at 38-40*F.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The alternative is to put MORE pressure than you want in the head space and let it absorb until the head space pressure is equal to the carbonation you want. This is difficult to calculate ahead of time unless you know your head space volume and can do some good gas law calculations. You also might not be able to put enough pressure in the head space regardless.

Using some info from another well-known brewing forum *cough* I built a simple gauge to measure the head space pressure in my kegs, and I force carb doing the shaking thing. Normally, people complain about overshooting your carb level, but with a gauge I can get it right where I want it every time in about 10 minutes per keg.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
mrkrausen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Not to hijack but, Silver do you mind sharing how you made that gauge? I use the set it and forget it method but would venture into the shaking method if I could get it right consistently. Thanks

I'm in over my head...fortunately that's right where I like to be.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
stewart194
Recipes 

Damn! You guys are quick to reply! Thanks!

That makes total sense though...I didn't think about the CO2 that would be absorbing in the beer itself. I'll pick up a splitter before this weekend.

So would your advice to be to force carb the spare keg at 30 PSI in the refrigerator for one day and then put it in the closet at room temp? My fridge is set at 36 degrees, but I'm not wild about chilling the beer and then letting it get warm again. Would using priming sugar for the spare kegs make the most sense? Or should I do the 15 minute force carb "rocking" method before storing?

SilverZero -
I am curious about this also!

Thanks again!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
stewart194
Recipes 

I just saw your link. Thanks!

Can this be done while the beer is at room temp? After getting the 3 identical readings and the carbonation level you want, can you then store the keg at room temp? Will it maintain that pressure and carb level?

Thanks again!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4910 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart194 View Post
I just saw your link. Thanks!

Can this be done while the beer is at room temp? After getting the 3 identical readings and the carbonation level you want, can you then store the keg at room temp? Will it maintain that pressure and carb level?

Thanks again!
Yes. Something like 30 psi (check the chart) is good for 65 degrees. You can keep the keg at room temperature, and it will stay carbed up (with no leaks, of course!).

I needed a splitter, so I went to Ace hardware and got a stainless T and some ear clamps in the plumbing dept. for my second little basement set up.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

My gauge is as simple as it could be (mainly because I cobbled it together from the limited inventory of pieces I had on hand - I just got into kegging so I don't have a bunch of extras yet).

I just pulled the gauge off of an old regulator and fitted it into the pipe tee. Other end of the tee is a male air hose fitting, then a short length of tubing coupling all that to a gas QD and barb.

I fill my keg and cold crash it for a couple of days if I can wait that long, fill the head space to 30psi, shake and shake for a minute, then attach the gauge and check pressure. It's usually all absorbed after the first round, so I top it off to 30psi or maybe just 20 to be safe, shake a bit more, reattach the gauge, check the pressure, repeat the shaking, add CO2 as necessary if it drops below where I'm aiming based on temp and volumes CO2 I want per style, and repeat until the gauge reads what I want in the beer even after 2-3 rounds of shaking. I will usually only fill off the regulator twice before I really make sure it's not going to overshoot. So, if I'm getting consistent readings that are low but within 5psi of what I want, I'll only add a bit of gas to the keg and do the shaking again. If I think it's not going to equalize before the pressure is low enough, I'll vent the keg a couple of shots and resume.

If you do overshoot, you could partially vent the keg until the gauge is a bit below what you want, that will allow some of the CO2 back out of solution and it should equalize pretty quickly (maybe hours or overnight - overshooting is harder to fix).

Even so, I'm planning to upgrade this to a full spunding valve so I can do pressurized fermentation in my sanke keg. This kegging thing is a whole new world of projects.

Quick Reply