Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > A question on filtering.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
col-in-texas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A question on filtering.

I just made a 5 gallon batch of Extra Special Bitter, and it came out really well, it was as good as any ‘Real Ale’ that I can get when I go back to England. For me it is fine but for my guests used to the filtered ‘Bud’, ‘Miller’, etc they say it’s cloudy. What is the sequence for filtering.

My brew was thus: I went from the siphonless fermenter into a priming tank to clear the beer then I kegged it with the diluted priming sugaralready in the keg. I gave the keg 5psi of CO2 and left it to carbonate.

My question is: If I add a filter does it go between the fermenter and the priming tank or the priming tank and the keg. In this system when would I add the diluted priming sugar.

Any answers will be appreciated.

Col-in-Texas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Filtering the beer would remove the yeast so you would no longer need to prime it (in fact it would be pointless and only sweeten the beer). You would need to start force carbonating your beer.

To answer your question, the filter would go between the priming tank and the keg.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Ditto the above. If you are force carbing (or can force carb) chill your secondary to serving temp, rack from your secondary to an empty sanitized keg, pass the beer through a filter (1micron actual to .5 micron actual) into another sanitized keg and begin force carbing.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If your priming tank is a bucket or other non-pressure vessel then no. The filter goes between two kegs because you have to use pressure. First, don't think you need to filter to get it clear. Your beer might be cloudy for a few reasons but lets start with the most likely. You are carbing with sugar. You can skip adding sugar for carbonation when you keg. Just put it on 10psi of CO2 in the kegger and leave it a week. In fact, letting the keg sit in the cold for long enough will clear your beer. You can also leave beer in the secondary to clear for as long as you like since you don't need it to have a lot of yeast for carbonation.

Filtering beer is a pain in the butt. You have to really make sure your filter housing is sanitized. I'd always wonder if something was living in the cartridge.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
col-in-texas
Recipes 

Thanks for the swift input, I have not brewed since the mid eighties and am a little rusty. Colin

Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In my opinion, tell your friends that cloudy beer tastes better. Or try using finings. I've never been a proponent of filtering unless you're selling to the public, who have come to expect crystal clear brew.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
ericpennock
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with unfiltered beer (many companies sell an unfiltered selection). However, I have read that if you leave 10% or so unfiltered it should still be enough yeast to carbonate the beer. Can anyone confirm this? Also, is the filtering what gives store bought beers their "crisp" flavor?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

crisp flavor? That's a lager with a ton of rice or corn adjucts.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply