HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Question for Experienced Keezer Owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
limulus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default Question for Experienced Keezer Owners

Hello Lads,
I finished my keezer in December. It is a coffin model built from one of the Magic Chef 7.0 models that HD had on sale a couple of months ago. It has been sitting idle in my basement for several weeks now. last weekend, I finally found time to brew a new batch. It fermented out very quickly and today, I put it into the keezer to crash cool before kegging. I use an STC1000 as a controller set at 5.5C. I have the probe in a glass vial filled with vodka inside. I also have a coffin with a 120mm fan. With the HDPET fermenter inside, it is taking 40min between cooling cycles. That is with the coffin fan off. With the fan on, it is about 31min between cycles. The cooling cycles run from 11-12 min. I feel that is pretty damn good. What are you all experiencing?

Tap 3: Empty

Primary: IPA
Secondary: soon to be IPA
Cold Conditioning: Vienna Blonde Ale
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Your run time will drop/rise based on then thermal mass. My 20cuft with 14-five gallon and 2-three gallon kegs with a 5 degree temperature swing (differential) runs for about 5-7 minutes about every 1/2 hour to an hour. Set at 4.6C my fans are set to run off the heat cycle of the controller so when it over shoots the temperature (if you watch the heater side lights up right after the cool cycle shuts off) the fans run till the temperature in the coffin reaches it's set point 2-3 degrees of the kegged space.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
limulus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I figure the thermal mass from 4 kegs will help keep it cool. I hope that I can get my compressor run time down to your run times instead of the 11-12 mins I see now. I am happy with the 40min off time.

Tap 3: Empty

Primary: IPA
Secondary: soon to be IPA
Cold Conditioning: Vienna Blonde Ale
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I insulated my lid, left the 2inch batten in place installed 4, 2 inch furring strips across to support the coffin and keep the lid flex down then installed 2 sided thermal barrier board(has foil on both sides 1 inch thick) after that I removed the original plastic liner and in installed FRP board. Dropped the temperature reading on the outside of the lid 16 degrees

Quick Reply