Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Question about when to bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
jaeg1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about when to bottle

Newbie question here. I did a batch of Raspberry Apple cider and was getting ready to bottle. Fermentation had been done for two weeks, no airlock activity at all. I moved the carboy to get ready for bottling, and the airlock started to show signs of activity again. I thought maybe I had just "woke up" the yeast from a dormant state and waited another day to bottle. But I am still seeing airlock activity one day later (bubble every 25 seconds).

Question is: Should I continue to wait, or is this nothing to worry about?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2773 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Airlock activity, or lack of it, means nothing at all. You need to take a grav reading to see what's going on. And since this is a cider, I would be thinking a couple of months if not longer to let it finish and clear before bottling.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Revvy speaks truth.

Now, when you move a carboy that has finished fermenting, you will likely see airlock activity because there are probably little pockets of Co2 that didn't quite bubble out of the trub, Offgassing is also possible, especially with higher grav beers.

So take a grav reading- that's the only way to be sure. Always go by your hydrometer.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
jaeg1
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick response!

Quick Reply