Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Question about refrigerator for possible kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
berickso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about refrigerator for possible kegerator

My dad has an old GE fridge, model number TBX23ZGBR, that he wants to convert to a kegerator. He's bought everything he needs, including a Perlick faucet, but he has yet to cut the "hole." Given where the fridge sits in the basement, it would work out best to have the faucet mounted in the side of the fridge. I've looked on GE's website at the diagrams of the fridge parts (http://www.myapstore.com/Omega/Dispa...UEST=ACCESSORY) but I can't interpret them well enough to see if there are cooling lines in the wall.

Anyone smarter than me able to understand the diagrams, or better yet, someone with a GE 23z who has successfully drilled through the side wall?

Thanks, and happy beer-ing,
Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
davebl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most of the time the coolant lines run in the walls, leaving the doors free. Your link doesn't work for me, and my own Google'ing brought up a somewhat normal looking older fridge. There might be a space somewhere in a wall with no coolant line, but that's above my knowledge detecting.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If the fridge has a finned radiator on the back then it is most likely OK to drill the sides but just to be sure you can feel the sides when it has been running a while and if they get HOT then you can not drill in the sides, otherwise it should be OK to drill in the sides if the radiator (condenser) is on the back side. Unless the door has an ice and water fountain you can drill with no worry. Use a hole saw, they work better.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
berickso
Recipes 

Sorry about the link not working. It seems finicky. If you go to http://products.geappliances.com/, then click on "Parts" it takes you to a page where you can enter a model number.

I really appreciate the help. Hopefully we can get this thing working without destroying the fridge!

Brian

Old 07-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
berickso
Recipes 

Here are the pics in question, if this inspires anyone...

Quick Reply