Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Question about multi-regulators for multiple kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
kvh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about multi-regulators for multiple kegs

Ok, so I just bought a kegerator, and it can hold 3 cornies. I'm currently RE-waterproofing the thing (see the other thread) and modifying the tower, etc etc etc.

I have a little extra money to play with in the next few weeks, and I believe that if I'm going to convert this, I'm going to do it properly. That said, I'm not Scrooge McDuck with expendable income - I want to do it right... on a budget.

Here's my question. I'd like the option to keg and serve beers at different CO2 levels. I'm fine with doing the math and adjusting the sugar (actually, spiece) levels to accomodate the style-specific carbonation, but is all of this silly without having separate regulators, one per keg?

I've never kegged before, but if I had to guess, I'd say that if you had 3 kegs with different carbonation levels and a single regulator and a gas-line splitter for the 3 kegs, all the CO2 levels would eventually equalize, and your efforts lost... no?

Is it even worth it to run a multi-regulator setup? Does anyone notice? Do you??

I'll have more questions later, don't worry...

thanks.

kvh

Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Yeah, you need seperate regs. You also can carb from co2 ratehr than priming sugar. Or another method is to transfer your beer into kegs while it is still fermenting and let the ferment finish in the keg. The co2 from the yeast will carb the beer.

As for whethere it's worth it or not. That depends entirley on you styles. If you are serving beers that are aorund the same co2 volume levels, then a splitter of a single reg works fine. but if you intend on serving almost flat stouts AND a hi carbed beer like a hefewizen.. then you really need seprate regs.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 06-06-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you can do separate regs for not too much money. Check out this thread for a source of inexpensive secondary regs ($5.75), then you just need a guage and some plumbing.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Buy some of these quick! They are Milwaukee secondary regulators for $5.75, on clearance.
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=12095

You will also need to buy low pressure gages.

I have two of these in my kegger. The main regulator provides CO2 at 30 psi. That goes to the soda keg and the secondaries. Each secondary has a splitter, so I have three pressures available.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 AM   #5
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I have two of these in my kegger. The main regulator provides CO2 at 30 psi. That goes to the soda keg and the secondaries. Each secondary has a splitter, so I have three pressures available.
I also just picked up two of those regs and am wondering if they can handle the high pressure right from the tank or do they have to go through a primary first? I was planning on hooking up my primary to the tank and then through the high pressure pass through (where tank gauge is) hook up the other two regs in series. I am away from home for a month and had them shipped to a friend so I don't have good access to them. I would love to have three different pressures ideally, but I could settle for two.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 AM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
You will also need to buy low pressure gages..
Where do you get low pressure gauges? Got any pics of your setup? Thanks.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 06-06-2007, 03:41 AM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

They can only handle 100 psi and have right-hand threads. Either put a splitter between the primary and the secondaries or do it the way I did.

I got the gages from the LHBS.

Not completely current, but close. The line in the upper-right goes through the wall to the main regulator and tank. The manifolds are adjacent to the taps they serve. The line coming out the bottom of the regulator stack is at primary pressure (not tank) and goes to the soda water. I could probably cram another keg in there, but I'm building a new kegger. This one is rusting out.

Those lines aren't dirty, I just drink a lot of dark ales.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 AM   #8
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Where do you get low pressure gauges? Got any pics of your setup? Thanks.
I found Beverage Factory has low pressure gauges for about $9.00, they should be good quality too. My system was from BF and has the same gauge. I also found this one at Kegworks, but I don't know anything about it it is only $6.65.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:06 AM   #9
kvh
Recipes 

Quote:
Not completely current, but close. The line in the upper-right goes through the wall to the main regulator and tank. The manifolds are adjacent to the taps they serve. The line coming out the bottom of the regulator stack is at primary pressure (not tank) and goes to the soda water. I could probably cram another keg in there, but I'm building a new kegger. This one is rusting out.

So, looking at the photo closely, you have 2 regulators, and each of them run 2 possible kegs. I see one, maybe 2 'master' CO2 lines feeding your regulators, but I also see a brass tube connecting them. Are they run in succession? Is there a 'pass through' port on the regulators so you can daisy-chain them? If so, that would be a simple build...

*EDIT* - nevermind - reread your comments, I think I figured it out.

My CO2 setup came with a regulator - like everything else in the purchase, it's pretty funky, beat-up, and confusing (to me at least).... I might try to trade it in for something clean and new...

kvh
Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
kvh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
I found Beverage Factory has low pressure gauges for about $9.00, they should be good quality too. My system was from BF and has the same gauge. I also found this one at Kegworks, but I don't know anything about it it is only $6.65.
McMaster has some too, with lower pressure settings (accurate to 2%, good enough for me)... Item # 3941K53

I assume you just find an adaptor to run from the 7/16th to the 1/4 thread size??

kvh
Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Quick Reply