Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Q!uestion abour force carbing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
newell456
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Q!uestion abour force carbing

I just set up my kegerator. If I added 40 psi and shook the hell out of my keg, how long do you guess it takes the foam to go down so I don't get liquid/foam when I open the pressure relief valve? I know, I know- I should have waited but I gots to have my beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

Yeah, go away and forget about it for 30 minutes or so. it should be fine. i usually force at 30 psi. it'll take about 2 days at that psi go get up to pressure. shake, then come home from work tomorrow, shake, before going to bed shake, and when you get home from work on the day after that you'll be carbed up. then drop to about 10 psi and CONSUME! i always drink to early too! haha just have some patience : )

What's tappening? :D

Old 03-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by newell456
I just set up my kegerator. If I added 40 psi and shook the hell out of my keg, how long do you guess it takes the foam to go down so I don't get liquid/foam when I open the pressure relief valve? I know, I know- I should have waited but I gots to have my beer!
I've never carbed a keg in this manner, but I've read posts by other people saying that thhey can get a keg carbed enough to drink after about 20-30 minutes of shaking on high pressure.

I force carb at 35 psi for 48 hours, then purge and set to serving pressure. I usually pull a few pints after 48 hours, but the beer is at it's best once it's had another 2-3 days to equalize at serving pressure.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

don't forget, you can always force carb at a slower rate, with no shaking. set it at serving psi, and forget about it for 7-12 days.

I do this because it helps add a little more aging to the beer, and all the yeast settles to the bottom, so the first pint removes the yeast, and its usually under-carbed since the dip tube and tap line won't really carb properly (only matter if the picnic tap's already attached when you start carbing).

One thing I've learned is that kegging makes it easier to 'rush' to drinking stage, so I think quite a few people would benefit from a little aging to get rid of the green-ness.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz
Yeah, go away and forget about it for 30 minutes or so. it should be fine. i usually force at 30 psi. it'll take about 2 days at that psi go get up to pressure. shake, then come home from work tomorrow, shake, before going to bed shake, and when you get home from work on the day after that you'll be carbed up. then drop to about 10 psi and CONSUME! i always drink to early too! haha just have some patience : )
30 minutes was a charm. I tried the relief valve once before I posted my question and learned to always open the pressure relief valve by covering it with a hand towel! It's just about right, but it might improve with a tiny bit more carbonation.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Just set it at serving pressure, shake the bejeebers out of it for five minutes and leave it along for a couple or few days. If you had it serving temperature or below, it should be ready without any additional shaking, adjusting, purging, equalizing, or other futzing around.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newell456
30 minutes was a charm. I tried the relief valve once before I posted my question and learned to always open the pressure relief valve by covering it with a hand towel! It's just about right, but it might improve with a tiny bit more carbonation.
Beer needs about 5 weeks to age at fermentation temp. (2 in the secondary and 3 more post secondary). I think few days to few weeks of cold conditioning also helps.

Carbonated green beer is still green beer. Don't be suprised if the very last glass you pull is the best tasting especially if you drink it to early.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 585 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
...Don't be suprised if the very last glass you pull is the best tasting especially if you drink it to early.
Amen.

I know when I'm about to float a keg when the beer clarity is like glass and the taste is like nirvana.

My smaller beers are good a lot earlier (2-3 weeks), but the medium/high Pale Ales...definitley do well with and extra 2-3 weeks.

For me...35PSI for 36-48 hours...no shakey.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
I know when I'm about to float a keg when the beer clarity is like glass and the taste is like nirvana.

Tastes like teen spirit?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
Beer needs about 5 weeks to age at fermentation temp. (2 in the secondary and 3 more post secondary). I think few days to few weeks of cold conditioning also helps.

Carbonated green beer is still green beer. Don't be suprised if the very last glass you pull is the best tasting especially if you drink it to early.
It wasn't too young by any means. I rushed the carbing- not the aging, and it turned out just fine.

Quick Reply