Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Pulling a vacuum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
subliminalurge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Pulling a vacuum

So while researching my purchase of a kegging setup I read through a lot of threads about getting CO2 filled. I saw several instances of people mentioning that their place pulled a vacuum on the tank before filling it.

Just how important is this, and what are the benefits?

I can see the obvious difference between getting it filled with liquid vs. gas, but what benefit does the vacuum provide?

Is that something I should concern myself with asking about? Anything else I should be asking about?

(Found a fire extinguisher place that will fill (not exchange) my 10# tank for "somewhere between $15 and $20". Girl who answered the phone couldn't find her price sheet. Sounds reasonable enough to me since it's only a one block detour on my way to work.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Boodlemania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Pulling a vacuum removes the ~14.7 psia of gas (atmospheric pressure) that could otherwise contaminate your CO2. IMHO, it's a safe, sound, and wise practice.

- CStone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply