Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > PSI question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
dinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default PSI question

I finally got all of my parts together last night and got the top seal in my keg to stop leaking. I just transfered my light wheat ale to the keg and attached the co2 bottle up. I set it at 8psi and stuck it in my garage which is about 50-60 degrees right now. Should be in the 40's next week.

Anyway, my question is, is that to high of a PSI to let it carbonate with? Also should I leave the bottle attached to the keg at all times during this process or do I just need to pressurize the keg and leave it be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would up the PSI, check out this chart for info on what pressure to set based on the temperature and desired carbonation level.

Also, you will need to keep the CO2 connected during carbonation; as the CO2 dissolves into the liquid the pressure changes in the keg, you need to keep applying pressure or the CO2 will not be forced into solution.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I usually go with at least 10psi.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply