New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Pry-off Woodchuck...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
franqlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pry-off Woodchuck...?

I've searched the threads a number of ways and have not found an answer to this. Most of the threads I have found about this resulted in the issue of twist-cap bottles.

I have 15 cases of pry-off woodchuck bottles. I tried to bottle up a micro batch (1 gal) but could not get a good seal.

I'm using a Red Barron wing capper with a standard American bell. the caps set firmly and seem "water tight", but with a small amount of hand pressure, they spin on the rim. If I shake a bottle, I can hear the air coming out.

Has anyone been successful in recapping these? When I "release" the capper, I notice that it gets hung up alittle, resulting in some decent sized scratches inside the bell... so I thought about trying the larger european bell, but didn't know if that was the actual problem. For the number of bottles I have ready to be used, I am not opposed to investing in a bench capper if that is a solid solution either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Paymygasbill77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by franqlyn View Post
I've searched the threads a number of ways and have not found an answer to this. Most of the threads I have found about this resulted in the issue of twist-cap bottles.

I have 15 cases of pry-off woodchuck bottles. I tried to bottle up a micro batch (1 gal) but could not get a good seal.

I'm using a Red Barron wing capper with a standard American bell. the caps set firmly and seem "water tight", but with a small amount of hand pressure, they spin on the rim. If I shake a bottle, I can hear the air coming out.

Has anyone been successful in recapping these? When I "release" the capper, I notice that it gets hung up alittle, resulting in some decent sized scratches inside the bell... so I thought about trying the larger european bell, but didn't know if that was the actual problem. For the number of bottles I have ready to be used, I am not opposed to investing in a bench capper if that is a solid solution either.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have had the same problem. I even tried to flip the plates on the capper.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

I have not tried those with a wing capper, but a bench capper should fix you up. They do not require a certain space between the ring and the cap to seat well.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
medusa1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my antique bench capper does not have a problem with woodchucks

Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
franqlyn
Recipes 

I had to step away from the brewing world for a while... Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Kevin1135
Recipes 

I have had no problems with the woodchuck bottles. I use the black beauty capper currently and they go one just fine. I did have some problems with the abita bottles and founders. Not sure why because they appear to be the same size.

I am however upgrading to a bench capper this week. I have done a lot of research and heard of absolutely no issues with any brand if bottles.

Quick Reply