Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Problem corking belgians w/ Italian floor...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Megascottydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Problem corking belgians w/ Italian floor...

So I am attempting to cork belgian bottles with the proper corks, and I am having a hell of a time. The cork gets stuck in the corker, and tears when I try to remove it. I try pushing the cork from the top with the back of a screw driver like I had seen on another thread here, but it doesn't seem to help, any suggestions? Oh and would it work if I pushed the cork all the way in and place the cage on the bottle anyway, hoping the cage will meet the cork when pressure builds up? It's a bad idea I know, but Ive got nothing else.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
twohands
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What are your bottles and what are the cork sizes?

Are you lubing the cork w/ star-san?

I have the belgian 750ml and a corona (I think) floor corker and have doen the "belgian style" thing before. Via trial and error, I find a point where the combination of handle movement and metal plate height pushes the cork halfway down (where i can cage it properly). I then remove the support plate and, holding the bottle neck, continue the handle rotation, forcing the cork on through. BYO had an article about this last summer

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/1941-corking-belgians

My blog - http://www.thehoppinghound.com

Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Megascottydemon
Recipes 

Yeah I was having a hell of a time, till I figured something out. I could get the bottle platform to move while the brass jaws where still engaged, this even allowed me to push the cork out using the plunger itself. I was beyond frustration and found this out on accident.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The best solution I've figured out is to put a 3/4" thick block of wood on the support plate under the bottle, push the cork down with the lever to the correct depth, remove the block, continue with the level to push the bottle AND cork down the rest of the way.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply