Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Probably a dumb question, but...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
jphalabuk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Probably a dumb question, but...

I have been kegging for ~ 6 months now, and I love it.

My kegerator only has room for 5 kegs in it, and that's with me running the Co2 and Nitro from outside the fridge. Here is my dumb question:

If I carbonate outside the fridge (at room temp) to exactly the volume I want, and then put the keg into the fridge, will the amount of carbonation stay the same? I understand that temperature makes a difference in how easy the CO2 dissolves, but I want to believe that once it's dissolved, it is dissolved. Does that make sense?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphalabuk View Post
If I carbonate outside the fridge (at room temp) to exactly the volume I want, and then put the keg into the fridge, will the amount of carbonation stay the same?
Yup, you're good to go. Just use a carb chart/calculator to determine the right pressure at your room temp. Probably on the order of 30 psi. Once it's carbed up let the keg chill overnight, but remember to drop the pressure before you hook it back up!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is actually a good question! When you carb at room temp you can get the desired level of dissolved co2 by using the appropriate amount of co2 pressure. If you then unhook the co2 pressure and drop the temperature, in theory the dissolved co2 should remain the same, as no more co2 pressure is being applied. I would guess that the amount of headspace in the keg could change the dissolved co2 by a small amount. I wouldn't worry about it though. Just do as zach says and bleed the pressure before you hook it back up.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Yup, you're good to go. Just use a carb chart/calculator to determine the right pressure at your room temp. Probably on the order of 30 psi. Once it's carbed up let the keg chill overnight, but remember to drop the pressure before you hook it back up!
+1. This is what I do for every brew. I have a 'charging' station in the basement with a 20# CO2 tank and a spider web of gas lines to hook up kegs. I can carb up to 6 kegs warm. Works just fine.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Yup as long as everything is sealed appropriately the amount of CO2 will remain the same and u won't lose anything.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 08-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
jphalabuk
Recipes 

Thank you! That is what I will do, then.

Quick Reply