Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Probably a dumb keg question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Shonuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Probably a dumb keg question

but...I've picked up a couple used 5 gal cornelius kegs and all the pictures of other kegs I've seen have a ring (to release pressure I assume) on the lid. The two that I have don't have a ring on the lid they have an elevated metal part with four circles on the top. Am I missing something or are there two different kinds?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Can you post a pic?

Old 02-23-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's a non ventable overpressure relief. If you need to manually vent, you'll have to press the gas in poppet with something like a screwdriver.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 02-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
It's a non ventable overpressure relief. If you need to manually vent, you'll have to press the gas in poppet with something like a screwdriver.

Sorry there is actual three holes on the lid of the corny kegs. It's a raised bump with three holes and if I look through the holes there looks like there is some kind of plastic tab or something.

When you say "press the gas in poppet with something like a screwdriver" do I put something in those three holes and press down? I tried that and I pressed down on that plastic thing inside and it wouldn't move.

I have the kegs filled with water and on CO2 to test them out and I swear when I had them taken apart the lid didn't have a hole on the underside of it.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No, the poppet valves are inside the posts that you put your gas in and beer out disconnects on. In order to vent these kegs, if necessary, you'll have to remove the gas in disconnect and push something down on the little circle. Ignore the thing on the lid, there's no way to force a vent on it. It's just for safety.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Castle Meadow Brewery
Hop Head
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Emphasis on the GAS poppet valve. Nothings worse than catching a blast of beer in the face when you shove a screwdriver in the liquid poppet valve. I only speak from experience on multiple occasions. I always think after I do it again.... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you're an idiot

ON DECK: Firestone Double Barrel ale

Old 02-24-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default leaking problem

Thanks guys I figured that out.

Another question. I put water in my kegs to clean and check for leaks. I put 10 PSI on the kegs and they stayed at this pressure as long as the tank was turned on. When I turned the tank off the pressure has been slowly dropping. Is this normal or does this mean I have a leak somewhere?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #8
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh348877
Thanks guys I figured that out.

Another question. I put water in my kegs to clean and check for leaks. I put 10 PSI on the kegs and they stayed at this pressure as long as the tank was turned on. When I turned the tank off the pressure has been slowly dropping. Is this normal or does this mean I have a leak somewhere?

If the kegs have significant amounts of water, the pressure will drop as the water is becoming carbonated. If it falls to zero, you have a leak. If the kegs are empty, you have a leak.

Quick Reply