Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming sugar VS Force carb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
JKHomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Priming sugar VS Force carb

Guys,

I just finished my first keg, it was a wonderfull thing, but I have a question

When I bottled i put 2 gal in a bottling bucket with priming sugar to bottle and the rest in a keg to force carb, i finished the keg just the other day but not before I had a chance to compare force carbed and bottled, i kind of liked the bottle with prime sugar better for what ever reason

In Charlie Papazian's book he talks about 1/3 cup of priming sugar and just letting is sit for a couple of weeks

DOES ANYONE DO THIS AND WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
TopDog
Recipes 

I'm impatient. I raise the PSI to 30 and let it sit in the cooler for a couple of days. Tastes just fine to me.

Brew like your head's on fire.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
beds
Recipes 

I'm interested to know why you prefer the bottled. The force carbonation can add a harsh flavour, imho. I am interested to get a filter, which some people use as part of their CO2 setup because CO2 may add flavour.

Did you filter before kegging? If so, then the bottled will have residual yeast/sediment which would add a different flavour.

1 hour from Port Huron

Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

We always natural carb our kegs. We use 2.5 ounces (half the amount for bottles), seal up the keg with a little CO2 and let it sit. Since we got into kegging several years ago this is the way we've done it and have no reason to force carb.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
jtd_1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
We always natural carb our kegs. We use 2.5 ounces (half the amount for bottles), seal up the keg with a little CO2 and let it sit. Since we got into kegging several years ago this is the way we've done it and have no reason to force carb.
How long do you let it sit(condition)? also, do you let it condition at room temp or at serving temp?

Thanks

Joe

Old 01-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
JKHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
I think I will try this way next time

When you fill the keg and pressure how lbs do you leave in?

I assume you purge a couple of times?

And like the other question at what temp and about how long? 21 Days?

Old 01-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

We usually put them at about 15 lbs pressure. We do purge it a couple times and set it aside at room temperature until we need it.

Make sure to check them once in a while to make sure they are holding pressure. We plan ahead pretty good so the kegs usually sit anywhere from 3 weeks to a couple months.

The first pint has some yeast but after that it's crystal clear, however, we tend to leave it in the carboy until it's really clear before we keg.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always naturally carbonate my kegs as well. The main reason being that I don't feel like spending a fortune on another tank, regulator and various fittings etc to go the force carbonation route.

But I think the biggest mistake new keggers have when they do force carbing is that they think it obviates the need for aging your beers. Force carbonating will indeed carbonate the beer much quicker, but carbonated green beer is still green beer. Your kegs need to age for exactly the same amount of time as your bottle conditioned beers.

A keg is just a large bottle, so I treat mine the say way. They get primed and then stashed away at room temperature for at least 3 weeks. Then when they finally do hit the kegerator I leave them for 3 days before I pull a pint. This lets the CO2 equalize with the new temperature of the beer.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station
KevinG Likes This 
Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
JKHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thnaks guys, you are right about the green beer thing, in Chalies book and what other have said they say before storing put at least 5 lbs on the keg to seal it

So should I use 5 or 12?

In the force carb chart under keging you use 12 for a couple of weeks, but if it works for you guys than it must work, I will be priming my next keg and see how it goes

Old 01-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I normally naturally carb my kegged beers, but have recently been doing a little experimenting. My question is how does the presence or absence of the yeast affect the aging of then beer. I've got an IPA fermenting that I will dry hop next week, and then keg a week later. Normally I would add sugar for carbonation, but for this beer I'm going to force carb it to test if the lack of yeast helps to preserve the hop aromas. My thinking being that the presence of the yeast might speed up the loss of some of the aroma components. For beers without loads of hop aroma, this might not make a big difference.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply