The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming sugar vs Cane sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
meadows57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming sugar vs Cane sugar

Is there any noticable difference or reason(s) for "not" substituting cane sugar for priming sugar when priming bottled beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
HP_Lovecraft
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cane sugar is sucrose which is digested slower then the Glucose in Priming sugar. Cane sugar also has slightly more energy, so you might use 2/3 cup instead of 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

Neither are really much of an issue. If I use cane sugar, I'll "invert" it with a squeeze of lemon sugar. This converts the sucrose into glucose and fructose.

nick

Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
mazdamike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft
Cane sugar is sucrose which is digested slower then the Glucose in Priming sugar. Cane sugar also has slightly more energy, so you might use 2/3 cup instead of 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

Neither are really much of an issue. If I use cane sugar, I'll "invert" it with a squeeze of lemon sugar. This converts the sucrose into glucose and fructose.

nick
Ok newby time, What is lemon sugar and how do you use it to invert your sugar??

Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

He probably means lemon juice.

The "inversion" is just breaking apart the bonds between the two simple sugar molecules that make up sucrose.

Priming sugar is D-glucose, or Dextrose. Same thing.

Marbles baby, marbles.

Last edited by Crazytwoknobs; 02-13-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
meadows57
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft

nick
It was my understanding that when you boil a cane sugar solution, you are in fact transforming it into a simple sugar. Would that not be an equivolent to glucose (priming sugar)?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just bottled with cane sugar. used 5 oz and am an impatient child, who can not wait for his beer to be ready. tried one just now, and it has wonderful head, nice lace, and to me seems pretty well carbonated.

i am also in a biochem class right now, and had an exam about disaccharides. so, my excuse for being on the forums, is "i'm studying".

Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avibayer View Post
... tried one just now, ...i am also in a biochem class right now,
School has gotten a bit more casual than when I was in college.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #8
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wasn't drinking it while in class. I can think of no better way to relax after an exam, than with a home brew.

Also, as has been mentioned above, dextrin (glucose) is a monosaccharide. Sucrose, is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. Yeast convert the glucose to ethanol (fermentation), going through fructose (an intermediate molecule in the pathway). So, it seems that using table sugar should increase carbonation. That makes sense why you guys said to cut back on the amount used.

The Lemon juice (citric acid) lowers the pH, causing the sucrose to break up into glucose and fructose, speeding up the whole process.

Here is a map of the biochemical pathways of yeast. The fermentation process is on the right hand side.

http://pathway.yeastgenome.org/YEAST...?type=OVERVIEW

Last edited by avibayer; 12-03-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Quick Reply