Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming Sugar Mistake When Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
cshrode21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming Sugar Mistake When Bottling

I just recently completed my first home brew. It's a nut brown ale that I had in the primary for 2 weeks, the secondary for 1 week, and in the bottle for 3 weeks now.

I messed up when bottling my beer and measured out 3/4 cup of sugar using a kitchen measuring cup instead of putting 2 and 2 together and using the entire 5 oz supply I recieved from midwest supplies. Looking at what was left in the bag it looks like I used only about 2oz of it.

The beer carbed up and tastes great it's just not as carbed as I would like it to be. My question is can I take off the caps and add one of the Cooper's drops to each bottle, recap them, and give them a couple more weeks? Or will this over carb it and mess everything up?

I know everyone on the forum hates when the same questioned gets asked over and over but I couldnt find the answer to this anywhere else on the forum. Any advice will help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

I'd leave it, but keep it at room temperature for another couple of weeks to give it some more time.

If you pop the caps, you'll remove any carbonation you've already got. If they were totally, completely flat you might have to do something. But if they're just a little undercarbed, I'd live with it.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Banjoman76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just ran it past two priming calculators and 3 ounces is about right for an American Brown, Northern and Southern Brown Ale. RDWHAHB

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/brew/widgets/bp.html

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

BEER is the Answer...
Unless you're filling out a medical history form or a job application

Old 10-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
cshrode21
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. I'll just put them in my bedroom closet and forget about them for awhile and let nature run its course.

Quick Reply