New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Priming Sugar measurements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Tiroux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
So does probably 99.9% of the world. Burma, Libya and the US are the only countries that haven't adopted it. It's so idiotic that we still use these ridiculous units that aren't used anywhere else in the world.
This.

1000g = 1 Kg

1Kg of Water = 1L = 1000ml

Enough said, but I could continue for a while...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Actually Libya is metric. You’re thinking of Liberia, who along with Myanmar are the other countries stuck in the nineteenth century.

It’s a huge embarrassment. I blame Congress for being too timid to annoy the old people.

A meter is a big yard. A liter is a big quart. Drive your car at 100 instead of 60. The only thing that would be bothersome is for the rednecks in the barber shop to adjust to complaining about the temperature being 42.

Everything I do is metric except for the car, the oven, and the sewing machine.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 101

You're right, my bad. That was a typo.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
DPBISME
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
So does probably 99.9% of the world. Burma, Liberia and the US are the only countries that haven't adopted it. It's so idiotic that we still use these ridiculous units that aren't used anywhere else in the world.

I say it does not matter.... I have lived over eas three times and been in the Military so Metric is really no big deal for me .

A unit of measure is a unit of measure and I could create one tomorrow. All I have to do is have people agree to use it.

To have a preference is OK bit to say one is idiotic is just silly.

It does not matter if our system is less "scientific" than metric... it works a gallon is a gallon and everybody who drinks milk knows it...

You have 315 million people using this system and they know it.... sure a Fascist would force you to use a new system but that’s not the way we do things here.

The majority of what is in place was built using the our system… it makes no sense to forace a quick change…. Just think… every tool would have to be tossed out… makes no sense

I have had non-scientists gat all excited about this,,, people who did not even measure things... but they had an opinion on this... They learned Metric was Scientific so it had to be better... I disagree.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
DPBISME
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiroux View Post
This.

1000g = 1 Kg

1Kg of Water = 1L = 1000ml

Enough said, but I could continue for a while...

Your Tiles are soooo wrong.

Most of the world is a Crappy Place... run by Dictators, Kings, Madmen, the local Communist Party and even Europe has it's "class" issies.

The people who come to the US of A came here to get away from that craziness...

And changing makes no sense since we already know our system... It would be like trying to use a new language... It will change but i see no reason to rush it...

Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
zachattack
Recipes 

Woah, calm down a bit.

Our current system of units is rather arbitrary and inconsistent compared to the metric system, as Tiroux nicely pointed out above. I don't think that's anything that's debatable. However, it is (of course) my opinion that our system is quite idiotic when compared to the metric system. Most of the world agrees with me on this, which is why almost every country uses the metric system. You can disagree, but there's no need to throw a tantrum. I am a researcher and engineer, but I don't think metric is better because it's more "scientific," rather because it's much more straightforward and consistent.

My opinion is not political and has nothing to do with fascism. Just practicality. But I appreciate the 'MURICA attitude.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
zachattack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBISME View Post
Your Tiles are soooo wrong.

Most of the world is a Crappy Place... run by Dictators, Kings, Madmen, the local Communist Party and even Europe has it's "class" issies.

The people who come to the US of A came here to get away from that craziness...

And changing makes no sense since we already know our system... It would be like trying to use a new language... It will change but i see no reason to rush it...
Wow that really strengthened your argument.

I'm kidding. Really, we're just being practical. No need to take it personally. I love American as much as the next guy. But our system of units is dumb.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
So does probably 99.9% of the world. Burma, Liberia and the US are the only countries that haven't adopted it. It's so idiotic that we still use these ridiculous units that aren't used anywhere else in the world.
I must confess that while I prefer metric for my science, I'm good with Imperial/English being a resident of the US. I'd also like to ask, if 99.9% of the world uses metric, what math are you using to get that?

If just the US is non metric, and the US is about 5% world pop so that and 99.9 must = 100? oops um.. land mass? no US has about 1.9& of the land mass... Well must be by number of countries, the UN has about 200 (191), so about .5%, not .1% (as noted it is 3 contries at non metric, so 1.5%, not .1%)...

I consider this a bit of irony here since in metric and the ease of base 10 and yet there is a failure to round to the nearest order of magnitued.

With that said, metric does make more sense.

While we are on crappy things that custom/habit keeps us doing - qwerty

Old 04-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
zachattack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
I must confess that while I prefer metric for my science, I'm good with Imperial/English being a resident of the US. I'd also like to ask, if 99.9% of the world uses metric, what math are you using to get that?

If just the US is non metric, and the US is about 5% world pop so that and 99.9 must = 100? oops um.. land mass? no US has about 1.9& of the land mass... Well must be by number of countries, the UN has about 200 (191), so about .5%, not .1% (as noted it is 3 contries at non metric, so 1.5%, not .1%)...

I consider this a bit of irony here since in metric and the ease of base 10 and yet there is a failure to round to the nearest order of magnitued.

With that said, metric does make more sense.

While we are on crappy things that custom/habit keeps us doing - qwerty
Hey I said "probably." That was obviously me exaggerating instead of actually looking at population data and calculating a percentage. But I did say "99.9% of the world probably thinks metric is a good idea," not "99.9% of the world uses metric." So there is some wiggle room there

I agree in that it doesn't bother me much on a day to day basis. But as an engineer, most things that aren't practical bother me when I stop to think about them.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
DPBISME
Recipes 

Quote:
Wow that really strengthened your argument.

I'm kidding. Really, we're just being practical. No need to take it personally. I love American as much as the next guy. But our system of units is dumb.

Well I just sort-a go by the old thing my Mom used to say...

"If everybody else jumped off the bridge would you"

I of course would say no and she knew I was lying.... since I probably jumped off first...

Then again my family "escaped" Europe 350 years ago... then they pulled us back twice WW1 and WW2 because they were still run by a bunch of crazies and egotists...

Cool Interactive map:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/travel-warnings/

Quick Reply